Community /

Hobby Zone

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Hobbies Help!
by MistyMagic
Last post
June 14th
...See more Hobbies Help Our Mental Health! Mental health and self-care are intricately linked, and engaging in hobbies can be a powerful tool to support both.  Hobbies are very personal. Each of us likes and chooses something different for our hobbies, and the choice we make can however affect our mental health. Some hobbies can actually raise our stress and frustration levels, especially worrying about getting something right. The painter that can’t capture the painting they want, or the musician that needs to practice for hours every day. So choosing the right hobby for the right time can help to improve our mental health. Having a mix of relaxing and energetic, mindful and chaotic can all help to ease the stresses and pressures of our lives.  Here are a few hobbies known to benefit mental health:-: * Art Therapy: Engaging in artistic activities such as drawing, painting, or sculpting can promote relaxation and self-expression, which are beneficial for managing stress and improving mood. A study published in the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association found that art therapy can reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. At 7 Cups we have a dedicated Arts & Crafts Community Here * Gardening: Spending time outdoors and caring for plants has been shown to reduce stress and improve overall well-being. Research published in the Journal of Health Psychology suggests that gardening can promote mood enhancement and stress reduction. Gardening is a topic in Hobby Zone so please post Here * Music Therapy: Listening to or creating music can have a profound impact on mental health by reducing stress, promoting relaxation, and enhancing emotional expression. A systematic review published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews concluded that music therapy can effectively reduce symptoms of depression. Music and Dance Community Here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/music/]  * Physical Exercise: Engaging in physical activities such as walking, running, or yoga can improve both physical and mental health. Regular exercise has been shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. We have a Sports & Fitness topic Here * Reading & Writing: Immersing oneself in a good book can provide an escape from everyday stressors and promote relaxation. Research published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that reading can be an effective form of stress relief, leading to decreased levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. Reading and Writing Community is Here * Cooking and Baking: Cooking or baking can be a creative outlet that allows individuals to express themselves while also providing a sense of accomplishment. Research has shown that engaging in cooking-related activities can improve mood and increase feelings of happiness. Share your recipes Here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/FoodRecipestoShare_2652/] or share cooking tips Here  [https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/Foodallaboutfood_1139/] * Outdoor Activities: Spending time outdoors and engaging in activities such as hiking, camping, or birdwatching can promote feelings of connection to nature and provide opportunities for physical activity and relaxation. Research suggests that spending time in natural environments can reduce stress and improve cognitive function  One special way to make our hobbies work for our mental wealth more is to ‘mindful hobby’. Using simple mindfulness techniques to improve the benefit of our hobby time. Being present in the moment, concentrating on what we are doing rather than letting our minds race. ------------------------- I hope that this has given you all food for thought,  perhaps you will look for a new hobby, or perhaps you may look at your hobbies in a more respectful way;  they are doing you and your mental health more good than you may realise!
🐈‍⬛ The Hobby Zone Taglist!
by MistyMagic
Last post
May 10th
...See more This thread controls an auto-updating taglist. The current list is pasted below. To add yourself to this taglist, press the Reply button in this post and write the exact words “Please add me.” To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Reply button in this post and write the exact words, “Please remove me.” Taglist 20 May 2024 (62) @adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @AJ1232005 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @AquaNyo303 @beachyone @Bella20 @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @butterlycow @calmmoon2104 @calmSky3414 @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @daydreammemories @DipityEnigma @EchoicEternity @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @Fristo @hiraxx @iloveyouxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @LoveMyMoonflowers @lyricalAngel70 @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @Mrunal11 @MunchieTaters @mytwistedsoul @NicholasW @Paisleykaat @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @shiningBeauty72 @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SomebodySpicy13 @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @thetoastgod @tidyHickory3283 @victoriousblue17 @warmheartedCamp3360 @WarmLightXO @wisly03 @WorkingitThrough2 @WorriedMagpie
Hobbies and Motivation!
by MistyMagic
Last post
April 22nd
...See more This is Motivational March and so I wanted to discuss with you about your hobbies and what motivates you to get started! Often I find it hard to motivate myself and so I might look at doing other things for a while. If I am in a 'hobby slump' and just want to find another project then that is exactly what I do. So often I might have many 'WIP' work in progress. I also know sometimes I look at all my yarn and knitting needles and groan! I love knitting but sometimes I just want to watch tv! I found my mojo when I wanted a new beanie hat, it was something I could easily knit AND watch tv lol! And, of course I got a warm hat :) So please take a moment to answer the following questions, of perhaps just read and think about them. ? Could you please tell me how you motivate yourself to spend time on your hobbies? ? Which hobby do you feel motivates you the most? ? Which hobby do you find the most rewarding? Join the Hobby Zone Team! [https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/EventsAnnouncements_1349/WantedHobbyZoneTeam_280109/]  Add or remove from taglist Here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/EventsAnnouncements_1349/TheHobbyZoneTaglist_280107/] @Brahmm @adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @AJ1232005 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @beachyone @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @butterlycow @calmmoon2104 @calmSky3414 @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EchoicEternity @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @LoveMyMoonflowers @lyricalAngel70 @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @Mrunal11 @MunchieTaters @mytwistedsoul @NicholasW @Paisleykaat @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @shiningBeauty72 @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SomebodySpicy13 @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @thetoastgod @tidyHickory3283 @victoriousblue17 @warmheartedCamp3360 @WarmLightXO @wisly03 @WorkingitThrough2 @WorriedMagpie
What sports do you play??
by Archive0627
Last post
June 22nd
...See more Hey, I was just kinda wondering what sports people do - Sports you hated, loved, did in the past, are more recent, any injuries, memories, etc. It's j cool to me I guess, hearing abt other people's experiences with them, cuz sports do smt dif for everyone (:
What’s a hobby or activity that you enjoy doing in your free time? 🎨🏄‍♀️
by BelovedMe
Last post
April 20th
...See more MY FAVOURITE--🏄‍♀️): Surfing is a surface water sport in which an individual, a surfer, uses a board to ride on the forward section, or face, of a moving wave of water, which usually carries the surfer towards the shore. It’s a physically demanding sport but can be a thrilling and rewarding way to connect with nature.
Basketball or Soccer?
by Tazzie
Last post
April 2nd
...See more
Basketball
by GenerousLychee4993
Last post
April 2nd
...See more Love playing Basketball...Self play more often...dribbling and Exercises, Self Practise really pays off here.
Favorit activity
by FatherOfAnAdoptedGirl
Last post
March 28th
...See more Hello I just wanted to make a thread were everyone can share their favorite activity, like I love to walk outside through streets and woods and to talk with people or kids I meet on the way. It's always nice to hear their stories or to do something with them like a little game. ^-^
2023 Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas vs Florida, who you got?
by Zigs44
Last post
February 19th
...See more Making a post for my Path. I think Florida has all the momentum. Tkachuk, Barkov, and Bobrovski all are making strong Conn-Smythe campaigns. They have the depth, they have the stars, they have the hot goalie. The perfect recipe for the cup. The question will be: have they rusted up since sweeping Carolina and having this extra rest? Or will that extra rest only make them more powerful? Vegas won't be a cakewalk though either. GM George McPhee has continuously enjoyed the salary cap freedom they've been blessed with since 2018, but that only makes winning the cup that much more critical. Vegas can match up with Florida on every line, they are a very well calibrated team that uses their balance to adapt to different game flows. They're fast enough to play high-pace, skilled enough to slow it down, and strong enough to compete in the grind. Goaltending is not as strong as Bob has been for FL, but the job is a bit easier when the defense in front of you has taken the least amount of penalties the entire playoffs. I think Florida has the extra juice to get them over Vegas. Panthers in 5.
Martial arts (and questions)
by 0820170719105
Last post
December 12th, 2023
...See more I've been interested in picking up martial arts for my entire life, but never got to because of family. I'm planning to in the future. Unfortunately, I'm far from fit. My stamina and strength are pretty low, I'd even say lower than an elementary schooler... In addition, I have pretty big weaknesses in some parts of my legs. Doesn't help that most of my life has been sedentary. So I don't expect to be able to start right away. I probably need to work on myself a little bit first. So that's what most of my questions are centered on. I'd never been in sports before so I have next to no knowledge. Any tips on what I should do before getting into it? Work outs, etc? Maybe a health professional? I wouldn't mind just meeting other martial arts enthusiasts as well. I've yet to meet one personally, so it'd be cool.
Cycling – The way to survive!
by SpeedyHare
Last post
August 29th, 2023
...See more Hey everyone! Who loves cycling? Some people got into cycling for fitness but some just love it as a hobby! For you guys who love cycling, you also got some bonuses, like good for our health, improving family/friends relationship, beautiful scenery, fresh air etc. Share with us.. ✼ What are the great things about cycling for you? ✼ Wheres your favorite area (park, housing area, hill, etc)? ✼ With whom do you usually do cycling? ✼ How many times per week you do cycling? The journey of life is like a man riding a bicycle. We know he got on the bicycle and started to move. We know that at some point he will stop and get off. We know that if he stops moving and does not get off he will fall off. ~ William G. Golding
Surfing🏄🏽
by TropicalMermaid
Last post
August 1st, 2023
...See more Hello! I thought it'd be fun to start a thread about surfing! Any others surfers out there😏, or people who want to try it, though haven't yet? I was having a bad day the other day, and went surfing in the afternoon to help me get in a better feeling space. It really helped (always does for me )! For two reasons ,( for me anyways); first, I just really enjoy being out in the ocean with my surfboard. Second, I'm really focused on doing my best to catch a wave, so my mind doesn't have an opportunity to bring up ridiculous, negative thoughts. Not a super surfer here and haven't been doing it super long..just having fun surfing 👍🏾👍🏾... I mean, "Can't we all get a longboard?🏄🏽🤔
Four Day Challenge for Fitness Freedom!
by ThadSterling
Last post
July 4th, 2023
...See more Four Days to Fitness Freedom Challenge! This challenge focuses on nutrition and building a better exercise routine, but revolves around the tricky notion of Self Discipline (which can be misleading in many ways). The truth is, many struggle with consistent progress toward goals in all areas of life, then feel bad about lacking “Self Discipline”, when in reality consistency combined with the simple steps in this challenge is the real key. With consistency and a simple, AMAZING nutritional hack, we can all achieve the goals we think are impossible. Following the steps below with a new understanding of the science behind willpower will give you a better workout, better progress, better chances at new habits in general, and better chances of saying “yes!” to exercise (or any other difficult task) when you are tempted to throw in the towel on any given day. Perhaps you are not happy with your progress in fitness, or your performance in your favorite sport, or perhaps you are struggling to make healthier habits in general. If this sounds familiar, then the Four Days to Fitness Freedom challenge is for you! We will cover the concept, the process, and after a firm understanding of willpower from a biological view, we will finish with the challenge. We got this! *This can apply to ANYTHING you want to add to your daily, or weekly routine! The science is in-depth, but the steps to this challenge are SUPER EASY! **Credit where it is due: the majority of this challenge is lifted from a terrific ebook, “The Ultimate Self-Discipline Hack” [https://hq.everydayspy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/The-Ultimate-Self-Discipline-Hack.pdf], by Andrew Bustamante, former Special Ops officer. THE CONCEPT I want us to lean into courage instead of being hijacked by fear, and learn to make the best choice instead of the easy choice. Again, this can apply to learning anything new, not just making exercise a regular part of your life. But know this: Knowledge isn’t fully formed until it is put into action! Temptation drains your energy, your emotions, and your hope. You are tempted to believe that you will not achieve what you want to achieve. There is a ton of evidence out there that proves these concepts are the best way to build up your willpower and consistently make progress toward any goal. We will learn how to resist temptation when we know that the best choice is to get some exercise in for the day, instead of making the easy choice. * Train yourself using "experiential learning" * make knowledge and behavior permanent by applying the concepts you learn right away. You learn a concept, then apply it. Build on that knowledge with a new concept, and apply it. Over and over. Self Discipline * Self-discipline is the conscious practice of exercising subconscious ‘willpower.’ * To understand self-discipline, we must first understand willpower. Willpower is your ability to resist the things that tempt you. * Your willpower evolves and develops according to your experiences. * Willpower is a limited resource. Once it is spent, you ‘lose’ your will. * The energy you spend exercising your will is real, just like the energy you spend walking or running. And like jogging or hiking, you will get tired and eventually run out of energy. * When you deplete your willpower, the pleasure and pain receptors in your brain become more sensitive. * That’s why radio commercials give you a headache on your commute home from work but not on your commute into work – your pain receptors are more sensitive to noise/pitch when you run out of willpower. It’s also why unhealthy foods or addictive temptations taste best after a hard day of work – your pleasure receptors are turned up from spent willpower. * Just like any other muscle, your willpower can be increased; it can recover, grow, and gain capacity/strength. * And like growing muscles, the key to success is in recovery. If you let yourself run out of willpower, it cannot grow or increase. Instead, you have to spend it wisely and give yourself space to recover your willpower before you deplete it. * The way you achieve self-discipline is by increasing your capacity for willpower. * Willpower allows you to resist temptation; to persevere; to endure discomfort, pain, and fear. Resisting temptation allows you to make the best decisions – the decisions you want to make instead of the decisions you ‘happen’ to make. Self-discipline is the act of making the best decisions consistently, without caving-in to temptation. * Until you increase your willpower, self-discipline cannot be achieved. * Imagine you are put in a waiting room with a plate of fresh baked cookies and a plate of cut celery. You are told you can only eat the celery while you wait. Then you are given a challenging puzzle to solve. How long will your willpower resist the temptation to give up on finishing the puzzle? Not long at all. * By spending your willpower resisting the temptation of the cookies, you’ve depleted your willpower to try solving the puzzle. * Willpower is a limited resource. * Self-discipline starts in the center of your brain, in a place called the ACC (anterior cingulate cortex). This area of the brain is responsible for a wide range of cognitive functions, from emotional response to rational decision-making. But its most important function is impulse control. The ACC is the part of your brain that keeps you from running rude drivers off the road; it keeps you from eating the entire bag of BBQ chips during a football game; it keeps you from yelling the same hurtful words at your teenager that they just yelled at you. Your ACC controls your willpower. * Your brain works best when it is well nourished and well rested. The same is true for your ACC – one small part of your brain. * The most important factor in building a strong ACC is maintaining regular glucose levels. * Low glucose levels weaken your willpower and threaten your self-discipline. * Low blood sugar happens two different ways: 1. When you don’t consume enough food to sustain your energy output. 2. When you have a medical condition (ex: diabetes) that negatively impacts your body’s ability to process glucose. * Willpower is a limited resource. Your brain can seem complicated, but it is really just another biological organ in your body. * When the body has a drop in blood sugar, it reacts by releasing adrenaline (epinephrine) to sustain core physical functions. While the adrenaline can physically sustain the body between meals, it cannot sustain your cognitive functions. Only glucose can do that. * The result is a fully functional body, but a near total lack of willpower. * You will feel normal physically, but your temper is short, your memory fails you, and you struggle to make good decisions. * To gain elite self-discipline, maintain healthy glucose levels. * In medical terms, we want blood sugar levels between 80-130 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter). In normal human terms, it means we need to eat regular meals and stay hydrated throughout the day. * People think motivation comes before self-discipline. It doesn’t. * Self discipline – like eating fruit and drinking water – leads to tangible results. Tangible results create motivation. And once you are motivated to keep going, the road to living the life you want gets faster and easier! THE PROCESS * (1) Powerful Fruit * Fruits are the cleanest, simplest, and most effective form of glucose. At this moment, thousands of special operators around the world are carrying a banana, an apple, or an orange in their ops bag. Easy to pack, easy to digest, and naturally protected by its own skin/rind, a piece of fruit can sustain your ACC for 4-6 hours after consumption. * (2) Timing is Everything * Your body needs time to digest food, break down complex sugars, and transfer the glucose into your bloodstream. This process takes 1-2 hours after your first bite. It is ideal to eat fruit 3 hours prior to any difficult exercise that requires willpower, and essential throughout the day in general to keep your willpower replenished as you tackle temptations. * Again, I can’t stress this enough! If you're trying to develop better habits and change your neural pathways, strengthen those mind-muscles, and achieve your goals in general you want to time your fruit consumption 3 hours before the end of your work shift, or 3 hours before you plan to exercise or tackle ANY challenge. * (3) The Water Advantage * Efficient digestion and blood flow requires water. The body works best when it is hydrated. Unfortunately, 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. Dehydration limits glucose transfer to your bloodstream and makes it difficult to know when the glucose will hit your ACC. * Drinking water at the same time that you consume fruit helps ensure proper digestion and glucose transfer. A simple 8oz glass of water along with a piece of fruit can boost your body’s digestion by nearly half. And here is how you put into daily practice! * 1. Commit to eating one piece of fruit (apple, banana, or orange) for the next 4 days, 2-3 hours before you know your willpower will be tested (dealing with children, working out, studying, etc.) * 2. Commit to drinking 1 liter of water (2 standard plastic water bottles) over the course of each day for the next 4 days. * 3. Share your reactions to the increased willpower you experience during this timeframe.
Crossfit or Hiit?
by MistyMagic
Last post
April 26th, 2023
...See more Did you know how many types of gym there are? Did you know that HiiT or High-intensity interval training can burn more calories in a shorter time? Maybe you like to just take it easy and go for a run or jog? What about Crossfit? any xfitters out there?
FIFA World Cup
by violetsherman233
Last post
January 11th, 2023
...See more Who will watch the FIFA World Cup? Who do you think will be the winner? Personally, I support Portugal

Hobby Zone

Welcome to Hobby Zone! This is where you can discover and explore how our hobbies can help us maintain good mental health. Hobbies can be therapeutic and promote healing. The purpose of this community is to provide a supportive and inclusive space and to share your hobbies.

What are the different forum topics for Hobby Zone?

Community Space: A place for discussions, check-ins and introductions.

DIY & Upsycling projects: A place for all those DIY discussions and home projects.

Events & Announcements: A place for discussions and events.

Food - recipes to share: A place to share your favourite recipes.

Food - all about food: A place to share your favourite foods.

Gaming: A place to discuss all things relating to games and gaming.

Gardening & other outdoor hobbies: A place for discussions relating to the outdoors and gardening.

Hobby Journals: A place for discussions relating to your hobby journals.

Other hobbies or interests: A place for discussions relating to any other hobbies or interests that you might have.

Pets and Animals: A place for discussions relating to your beloved pets or other animals.

Photography: A place for discussions relating to photography and videography.

Sports & Fitness: A place for discussions relating to your physical fitness and hobbies.

Using hobbies as therapy: A place for discussions relating to your hobbies being used as therapy.

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Hobby Zone FAQ

Q: Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

A: You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Help! I still have a question! 

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Community Guidelines

Please note that adding a 'Trigger Warning' or [TW] does not make any content acceptable. So please think carefully before posting.

Hobby Zone is a friendly, relaxing, and safe space where we do not expect to have triggery, or triggering artwork, writing, poetry, or other contributions.

• You can start a Hobby Journal or join in with seeing what others are up to.

• You can post your artwork but please make sure it is teen suitable and adheres to 7 Cups guidelines so appropriate attire and content. Please start your own thread and keep ALL artwork in that thread. This will mean that your thread gains upvotes/hearts and will notify everyone when a new post is made.

• You can share your poetry or writing but again please make sure that it is suitable for an emotional support site and is not triggering. If in doubt then please ask a community leader, the names can be found under this 'About' tab below. Please start your own thread and keep ALL writing & poetry work in that thread. This will mean that your thread gains upvotes/hearts and will notify everyone when a new post is made.

• Be wary of clicking on any unknown links as they are not vetted or checked by Hobby Zone or 7 Cups.

• Please avoid giving links to other sites such as YouTube or Spotify for music or video content instead please give the name and song title so that people can safely do their own search and find the content.

Please ensure that ALL content is appropriate for teens as the site is open to members as young as 13.

Inappropriate content will be removed. 

Community Leaders
Forum Supporter
Community Resources

Join the Hobby Zone Team

Join the Hobby Zone taglist to hear all about the newest posts

How to use the new format of forums 

• Arts & Crafts
  • Cooking, Baking, or Barbequing!
  • Fun, and Relaxation
  • Gaming
  • Gardening and other Outdoor Hobbies