Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What's Music, Without a Little Dancing? Happy National Dance Day!

EmotionsListener September 17th, 2022

Z-u5hl4Q-vhgcED3ACq3iMsKDse058jcs0GZ_yvIlca-sOciQzbMDC5X649K-bA249VOwpsiJN96Uw06uYzGgGsGd7k-oF2JbJdyK-IESJpwgttNH8rYjvPyr3UWMzbNxHnIYg7dmF6tsVGl8j79_TwcB7WuOzEzD20l7wvfW-TNCD5ZE6_hVViUOg

[Image reads β€œHappy National Dance Day!” over a colourful dance step pattern]

Dancing is the rhythmic movement of the body, often choreographed, typically to music. Dance can be performance art, or simply a way to connect with others, enjoy the feeling of movement, express our emotions, or just let go. Dance is an activity that can be enjoyed by almost everyone.

There are thought to be 5 universal elements of dancing. First body, as it is the main instrument involved in dance. Second action, which is to say what the dancer does while dancing. Thirdly, space, or the space through which a dancer moves while dancing, often also involving the interaction with other dancers. Fourth, time, this relates to the rhythm of the movement. Lastly, energy which speaks to how a dancer moves through space to the rhythm, movements can be quick, or flowing, relaxed or restricted, etc. These five elements combine in a variety of ways to make what we call dance.

Dance can play a lot of different roles in our society. The three main roles of dance in society include dance as a part of rituals, ceremonies or celebrations, dance as recreation, and dance as a form of artistic expression.

8kFbdnP3KBOR9x3Esx5xBtnYNINU_HZBN2CdOZlSVzZ5XPwbRnbxgmXaBEyDCX5fYN05OUfHVAwmH8JEf2U8avLL2WLww0GkNQkvbRZn__ZM5b1DL34TRVNi0nU9YLowgMBaxws_FQkKxSJnpVSHFBdMGAEjELnujmt6SHGfqGbNZ_rXZlxXb3Wk-w

[Image contains a colourful silhouette of a ballet dancer]

Some popular categories of dance include ballroom, theatre, jazz, and Latin. Though there are lots of types of dances, and many dances will fall into more than one category of dance.

Ballroom dancing first originated in 16th century France, and is the name given to a set of partner dances including those such as the waltz, Viennese waltz, foxtrot, tango, quickstep as well as a variety of Latin dances. As you can see ballroom dance encompasses a wide range of dance tempos and origins.

Theatre dance, also known as professional performance dance, usually performed for an audience in a theatre setting, is highly choreographed and set to music. Some common types of theatre dance include ballet, contemporary and modern dance.

Jazz dance first became popular in the United States in the early 1900’s, though the origin of jazz dance can be traced to African rituals and celebratory dances from around the 17th century. Some types of jazz dance include the Charleston, tap, boogie-woogie, and swing.

Latin dance is rooted in the traditional dances of native peoples of Latin America, with some European influence. Some popular types of latin dance include the cha-cha, samba, rumba, jive, salsa, flamenco, and lambada.

Some other well known types of dance would include belly dancing, polka, folk dancing, Bollywood dancing, break dancing, popping, locking, as well as country and western dancing.

5-K71HAgM7BJI-UZADIdUWWY7fo3r862zkgDazQ2m6XoMt8chjsYEPnhlpyfUT9y53pnGhZgbI1Hf2WcCo4RYSBnCQKOuVib6ApAjL-N91AQr4PZJLH_nbBPDLx6vT83Os9qWWsVkw-JVKX_62n1kFVa6TJK8FS6VplKVzjY6MNB6RwbzP-ZAp92Tw

[Image contains silhouettes of people dancing]

Before you turn up the music, and get up and dance, why not join us in celebrating National Dance Day by answering the following questions?

1. Can you think of any other types of dance you enjoy? Be it watching or dancing yourself?

1. What is one song that makes you want to get up and move?

1. So, will you join us in turning up some music, maybe closing the curtains and dancing like no one is watching?

Source: https://www.masterclass.com/articles/history-of-dance

https://play.decathlon.co.uk/articles/28-different-types-of-dance

https://forms.gle/tSRzfxpQJvvYpZXh6 Feedback & Ideas Form, Share your ideas!

Tagging the Hobby Zone subcommunity tag list

(If you want to be added/removed click here!)

@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @BlueRiver5968 @ChildGoddessFlute @EmotionsListener @enigmaticsmile321 @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @Helpingheart23 @hiraxx @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MistyMagic @NicholasW @Paprika001 @SmileSravani @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @thandocilo @theboymoana @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

You found a cat, but shh... don't tell where I am!

gVfdsbUxDUAg_7-jR1_bDpxbidBybM8nVX0g2ammGIBV9UYGDpr1j69Oam-650avuyU-vWv98NTCuMXS_-SUbk3htZIB_rYsKZs6KNnX1PWUhm38q-3mXNYbhZZXGgT-g8nqaZDLqSGP6jRJfLKUz1fFpH4uMaVlF8HhUr-n_2CUgdM833MTjgZ0Mw[Image consists of a black cat wearing a collar with an L]

September 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Happy National Dance Day to you, too! Theatrical dance is something I've always wanted to do, thank you for this well written post. It inspires me to learn new styles of dance that I haven't tried yet.

πŸ’ƒ Can you think of any other types of dance you enjoy? Be it watching or dancing yourself?

Some of my faves: K-pop, pole dance, belly dance, latin dance, ballroom dance, salsa dance, ballet, hip hop, jazz, shuffle dance, dunhuang dance, bharathaatyam, gwara, and popping dance.

πŸ’ƒ What is one song that makes you want to get up and move?

Los Del Rio - Macarena (Bayside Boys Remix)

Original version

πŸ’ƒ So, will you join us in turning up some music, maybe closing the curtains and dancing like no one is watching?

Lol, you knew I was already dancing, right? πŸ˜† especially after I posted the link in the second question.

mona-lisa-edit.gif

September 17th, 2022

@Helpingheart23

By the way, it's "Bharatanatyam." Sorry for the typo. Here's a video of this dance, which I really love:

😍

Bharatanatyam - Indian Classical Dance

EmotionsListener OP September 20th, 2022

@Helpingheart23

I'm glad to hear you are feeling inspired to learn more but also just to get up and dance. It seems like you enjoy a wonderful variety of dance styles!

Oh no is it time to do the macarena?! (No I didn't just start doing that I don't know what you are talking about.... 🀣) It's the power of the macarena right?

Thank you for sharing and joining in!

999catsdancing-555cents.gif

LovetoGod September 18th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

I am really loving your posts ❀

Dance is really fun. I do dance when I am alone xD. I have really hidden talent of dancing and acting but I never tell anyone because I can't do sleep in front of anyone because I am shy and I have anxiety but I do enjoy myself in my imaginations hehehe. And there are many types of dances. I do watch dance shows so yeah there are many but I just do freestyle xD. Have fun everyone! πŸ˜ƒβ€

dance-party.gif

@LovetoGod

Thank you, I am glad you like the posts. πŸ’–

I understand being shy about dancing and acting. My cat is usually my only audience, though I'm not sure I'd say I'm a good dancer, just that I like to move very expressively to music. But I do hope that you are able to work up to sharing your talent with others one day!

Thank you for joining in, hopefully you are able to get in lots of freestyle dance even if no one is watching!

freestyle-style.gif

HealingTalk September 18th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

1. Candombe, an Afro-Uruguayan drum-based music and dance (Uruguay is a neighboring country to mine (Argentin), I love their people and culture)

2. "Canta minha gente"

A slow Brazilian Samba. (My mother is from Brazil, I love all Brazilian music)

The translatios would be "Sing, sing, my people, leave sadness, life will get better" (Samba has typically happy music with melancholic or sad lyrics)

3. Oh, I dance only at parties. Can't do it alone... Sorry for that!

Finally, the amazing dance scene from the film "Pulp Fiction"...

@HealingTalk

Thank you for sharing all these great dances and songs! Oh and don't worry you aren't dancing alone, we're all dancing with you right? 😁

couple-dancing-dancing.gif

HealingTalk September 20th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Oh, we could do an online party!

Maybe for Cups' tenth anniversary.

We all start the same YouTube playlist at the exact time.

And dance to the music...

EmotionsListener OP September 22nd, 2022

@HealingTalk

Sounds fun, who knows what time will bring right?

yourbuddy30 September 20th, 2022

@EmotionsListener I had no idea today was National Dance day! Wish you all a Happy National Dance day everyone!! Keep dancing, keep enjoying and keep smiling

@yourbuddy30

It was on Saturday but why not keep dancing just the same right? I know World Dance Day is in April, so I want to practice. πŸ’ƒπŸ»

music-bussin.gif

yourbuddy30 September 20th, 2022

@EmotionsListener Haha every day is a dance day for me

EmbStitcher33 September 23rd, 2022

Not sure I can join in but wanted to show up to support this great thread.... still under the weather.

When I was younger I would turn on the radio and just dance in my kitchen, all by myself. A few times my daughters would sneak up and catch me. I would shooo them away...lol. It was my way to deal with stress.

Now that I'm heavier, don't dance as much. I should. But I haven't in a long time. Maybe I'll start... behind a locked door...

As far as favorite a fav dance... well, the one I love to watch is from the movie, "Shall We Dance."

(can't seem to add the video so here's a link, please watch it, it's wonderful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24a_2NPleg&ab_channel=Miramax

They just seem to connect well. The dance looks flawless and perfect, (to me anyway).

I use to watch "Dancing With the Stars" all the time.

EmotionsListener OP September 26th, 2022

@EmbStitcher33

I hope you will feel well enough to get up and dance with soon us just the same. Sometimes we feel the need to close the curtains and lock the door, but if that's what it takes, don't forget to turn up the music!

swing-dance-swing-your-hips.gif