Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Spooky Week - Frightening Food "Formulas"

EmotionsListener October 30th, 2022

What say Halloween better than creep-tastic treats that push the boundaries of too eerie to eat?! Do you like to stay on the cute side of things or are you all in on ghastly gastronomy?

_1667131488.Spooky recipe banner 2.png

[image consists of various spooky treats - mummy jalapenos, monster apple slices, olive spiders on cracker pizzas]

From using almond slices and a bit of red icing to turn a simple sugar cookie into a ‘witchy finger’, to using bacon to mummify a meatloaf, some of the recipes that appear this time of year are certainly a fright! Others insist that cuteness and pumpkins rule this night! Often all it takes to turn a recipe from everyday into something spine chilling is a bit of imagination, food colouring or even some edible eyes.

How about a dozen pumpkin muffins with cute little oreo bats?

Pumpkin Muffins (makes 12):

• 1 cup canned pumpkin

• 2 large eggs

• ½ cup sugar

• ½ cup packed brown sugar

• ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce

• ¼ cup canola oil

• 1 cup all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• ½ teaspoon baking soda

• ¼ teaspoon salt

• 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

• 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

For decoration:

• 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting

• 18 oreo cookies (optional)

• 24 candy eyes (optional)

• Food colouring (optional)

_1667132082.oreo cupcake bats.jpg

[image consists of cupcakes with bat decorations made from oreos]

Directions:

• Preheat the oven to 350°F(180°C).

• Line muffin tins with paper, foil or reusable muffin liners.

• Beat together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, brown sugar, applesauce and oil until well combined.

• In a separate bowl, gently whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.

• Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients, mixing well.

• Fill muffin liners approximately ⅔ of the way full with batter.

• Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 min. (Until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)

• Cool in pans for 10 min, remove to wire racks and cool completely.

• For oreo bats - use frosting to attach candy eyes to one side of a dozen of the oreos.

• Take remaining oreos and separate cookies from icing - break each individual oreo cookie in half; these will be your “bat wings”.

• Mix vanilla frosting with food colouring(if desired).

• Carefully pipe frosting onto cooled muffins.

• Place oreo rounds in the frosting and gently insert wings behind the whole oreo.

So will you be turning cake pops into eyeballs? Using pudding, oreo crumbs and gummy candy to make some good old fashioned dirt’n’worms? Maybe you have a recipe for your very own witches brew? Let’s mix up some fun and share our fantastically frightful food recipes and ideas here!

_1667132841.spooky recipe banner.png

[image consists of various spooky treats - cake pop eyes and gummy worms in oreo crumbs]

1. Do you like spooky food for Halloween?

2. Savoury dishes or sweet treats, which spooky sensation makes you say “feed me”?

3. Get out your spell books, your recipe books, or just your imagination and share one of your favourite hair-raising ideas with us?

_1667131426.Audrey II.png

[Image consists of a clipart “Audrey II” from “Little Shop of Horrors” and reads “feed me!”]

https://forms.gle/tSRzfxpQJvvYpZXh6 Feedback & Ideas Form, Share your ideas!

Tagging the Hobby Zone subcommunity tag list

(If you want to be added/removed click here!)

@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @corinnajoyhenryluv @EmotionsListener @enigmaticsmile321 @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @Helpingheart23 @hiraxx @independentFig7852 @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @thandocilo @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

innateJoy9602 October 31st, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Pumpkin muffins sound so good! Thanks so much for sharing with us!💜

Do you like spooky food for Halloween?

Yes! Of course! It makes eating so much exciting!
Savoury dishes or sweet treats, which spooky sensation makes you say “feed me”?

I think when it comes to Halloween, the sweet treats take the cake! :P
Get out your spell books, your recipe books, or just your imagination and share one of your favourite hair-raising ideas with us?

I wish I had one! I look forward to reading others though!💜