Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mental Health Stigma

LotusFlower92 March 7th, 2017

Introduction

Mental Health stigma can affect many individuals daily. It can make an individual who is suffering from a mental illness or disorder feel like they arent worth anything and that there is no point to seeking help because they feel no one will listen or understand. Mental Health stigma can be an uncomfortable topic for many, especially if they themselves suffer from mental illness and/or have their own mental health stigma.

Mental Health Stigma Defined

Mental Health stigma is defined as a sign of disgrace or discredit toward mental health. This could make an individual feel unwanted and worthless. Its important to note that many people who suffer from mental illness already have a difficult time speaking about their mental illness and if stigma is also involved, it will more than likely push that person away from receiving the help they need. Mental health can be a touchy topic and if people are feeling judged and viewed as not good enough due to their mental health struggles, they will more than likely withdraw from others as well as keep to themselves. Withdrawing from others involves lack of a social life, which can in turn, create depressive thoughts and feelings. Mental health stigma can create an awful, vicious, spiraling cycle. It was mentioned in the article titled, Reducing mental illness stigma: Effectiveness of hearing about the normative experiences of others, that individuals with stigmatizing perceptions of mental illness may not be willing to seek contact with people they perceive to have mental illness (Hackler, et al, 2016, p. 201).

Self-Stigma

There is also something called Self-stigma and it can correspond to the negative self-perceptions and demoralization that occur when societal stigma regarding mental health and counseling is internalized and applied to the self (Lannin, et al, 2016, p. 351). In the article titled, Does self-stigma reduce the probability of seeking mental health information?, it was mentioned that if counseling is viewed as threatening, its more likely that individuals will perceive it as negative (Lannin, et al, 2016). It was also mentioned that previous research has found that ones attitude toward counseling mediates the relationship between self-stigma and the intentions to seek counseling (Lannin, et al, 2016, p. 352).

Self-Reflection

Its important to self-reflect when feeling stressed and that your mental health is getting the best of you. Self-reflection is a great tool to use when feeling overwhelmed, because it helps us consider who we are and why we are feeling the way we do. Think about the whole system, such as, goals, beliefs, values, who youre surrounding yourself with, home life, the list can go on and on. Self-reflection can also serve as a grounding tool, to help us stay balanced and grounded in our daily life.

Meditation and Mindfulness

Meditation and mindfulness can serve as a positive and healthy way on how to deal with the pressures of mental health stigma. Meditation involves focusing on breathing, so, when inhaling, allow the belly to expand and when exhaling, allow the belly to sink in. Also, remember to breathe with your abdomen and not your chest, as this creates shallow breathing and the feeling of panic. Mindfulness is being mindful of whats around you and also being grateful for what you have. If we focus on the negatives, negatives will follow. If we focus on the positives, positives will follow.

Discussion Questions

v What does it mean to have mental illness?

v Would you say that you suffer from your own self-stigma? If so, why is that?

v Do you experience mental health stigma where you live? If so, what can you do to decrease the possibility of mental health stigma?

Great websites to look at! Just copy and paste them into your browser.

1) http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/ways-to-help

2) http://letstalk.12kindsofkindness.com/ - Share your story and even join them on Instagram!

3) https://www.instagram.com/letstalkaboutmentalhealth/?hl=en

References

Hackler, A. H., Cornish, M. A., & Vogel, D. L. (2016). Reducing mental illness stigma: Effectiveness of hearing about the normative experiences of others. Stigma And Health, 1(3), 201-205. doi:10.1037/sah0000028

Lannin, D. G., Vogel, D. L., Brenner, R. E., Abraham, W. T., & Heath, P. J. (2016). Does self-stigma reduce the probability of seeking mental health information?. Journal Of Counseling Psychology, 63(3), 351-358. doi:10.1037/cou0000108

@EssenceOfHope

Hope March 7th, 2017

@LotusFlower92,

Something we need to talk about more often. Thank you for making this post.

LotusFlower92 OP March 7th, 2017

@EssenceOfHope you are welcome! Thank you for commenting!

Emily619 March 8th, 2017

Woohoo, what a lovely Honors Project (assuming this is what it is)!! You did a fantastic job. For my part in the discussion questions:

1. To have a mental illness means to me that thr brain chemistry of someone may be slightly off, but it doesn't mean they're crazy at all!

2. I think I can stigmatize myself, definitely. After all, who has never been upset over something as small as their weight? I know I can put stigma on myself for that, or for overreacting sometimes.

3. Personally, I deal with some (but not a lot, no worries) mental health stigma from others due to my Tourette's, but I'm very fortunate that the stigma isn't too "heavy" because there are so, so many people that have a lot worse stigma against them, especially those that come on 7 Cups that connect with me to be there Listener. As far as coping, I believe finding a strong support system is essential!

Well, that's my 2 cents! Excited to hear everyone else's answers, and again, great job! You did spectacular heart

LotusFlower92 OP March 8th, 2017

@Emily619 you are awesome! Thank you for reposting and replying! Yes, this is an Honors project.

I'm sorry you deal with stigma! I don't think it'll ever be completely gotten rid of, but I do think talking about it can reduce the chances of stigma! I understand how difficult it can be dealing with it. It can make people feel isolated and even worse than before.

All of your answers are great! I, too, look forward to other people's answers! Great job, and thank you for responding! ❤❤❤

sideshowbob March 9th, 2017

@Emily619 coping everyday with it is hard. Pyscosis is the worst, not knowing when it will come back. Makes the depression so much worse

CoinFountain March 9th, 2017

@LotusFlower92

Can you elaborate on "Self-Reflection" and point to where 7cups teaches it? The thought of going through an "endless list" would make a lot of people feel even more overwhelmed if they are feeling that way already.

LotusFlower92 OP March 9th, 2017

@CoinFountain ooooo, well I'm sorry if I actually made anyone feel worse. That is not my intention... I'm just saying self-reflection can serve as a great tool for self-awareness, however, if it makes a person feel worse, I do not recommend it. I think I was basing the self-coping strategies off of what helps me personally and I realize that can be a troublesome reality for some. If this post helps people, great! But if it hurts people, that is not my intention. I just hope I could spread awareness. Thank you for your reply!

When it comes to "depression" as a loose all encompassing term with many people within the mental illness spectrum may not fully understanding what "major/clinical depression" is because they haven't experienced it first hand, I find I run into stigma even here on 7cups from well meaning people who don't grasp just how debilitating it can become.

It's not something you can task or power through. It can cause energy levels to become so unpredictable regardless of amount of sleep or amount of "fun activities" or how much exercise someone gets when they are able to move around for however unpredictably long that workout energy is there. Depression comes in different forms and isn't the same for everyone. I know some people who wish they were dead and for some reason they've never been so low energy that they couldn't push themselves to do things. I'd describe it like a flu bug and almost feeling like you're going to faint if you push harder but such people don't believe it because they've never experienced that sort of thing in absence of a verifyable virus. Also they won't see that if you pushed yourself to do more today you'd be using up tomorrow's ration of energy even if you do sleep the exact right amount for healthy body. Vitamin D and serotonin being too low in active zones can feel like your limbs have become lead heavy and with anxiety on top of that can make it feel like you've been hit by a bus because the anxiety uses up whatever small amount of energy you had to try and manage things with.

I think every site should make more obvious distinctions between the types of depression before people get the ability to post freely willy nilly on depression specific forums and chat rooms so that help sites don't become part of the problem spreading stigma while trying to offer well meaning advice.

loyalDay5445 March 9th, 2017

@CoinFountain

Hummmm. I appreciate this post. Lot's of information amd perhaps experience too!

Tell us more about you. Your great knowledge is showing through! :-)

Best.......

@loyalDay5445

Thanks for the compliment. I do have some experience in areas I sometimes wish I hadn't but it seems that through it I'm able to offer help to others which is a silver lining. I might have become listener by now if I wasn't still in a state where I'm easily triggered into feeling drained and already having people close to me offline that need my help somewhat often.

I'm an artist and an activist so I'm often leaving feedback wherever I go. lol

@CoinFountain that's actually a great reply. This just proves that it's really tough to treat and understand all types of depression. I've been there where my energy levels were depleted and I had no energy to do even the "simplest" of tasks. I'm sorry you've been through so much and I hope you feel better! I personally believe medication can really pull us out of that low-energy time, however, not all medications work for all people. It would be nice to have a magic pill. I do find that working out does help me, though. Hope all is well with you and I appreciate your replies!

@LotusFlower92

Thanks for the well wishes. I too find meds are helping with maintaining energy level with the help of as much D3 as I can safely consume. :)

I'm very surprised both that you've linked a Bell (dot) ca link and that Bell is even is doing anything regarding mental health awareness because as a big telecom I would not trust them to care about health when they ask people in rural areas to pay so much for basic (measured in MB) internet service limiting people even further to mental health resources. Can you imagine how far you'd get on 7cups a month if your data ran out half way through trying to practice mindfulness with the audio and video? Bell doesn't care enough about people on low income having mental health resources. If they cared enough about it they'd look deep enough to listen to people giving feedback but instead they outsource help to call centers that keep conversations to 3 min averages and not listen to CRTC about activist petitions.

@CoinFountain I'm very sorry you feel this way! I thought they were helpful links.

@LotusFlower92

Not saying that they are bad links. If Bell helps spread awareness even with it's lack of evidence of sincerity about it I'll still take whatever benefit toward the cause results. I just don't like how many people are forced into forking over so much of their hard earned money for something that should be a public utility and not treated like cable television where customers pay out the nose for fluff they don't want to get access to just a few things they do want or direly need.

Thanks for the important conversation starter. <3

vriska44 March 9th, 2017

This is a very nice topic, thank you for making it <3

1. Having mental illness means to suffer unwillingly.

2. In the case of self stigma, I guess berating myself for my depression can be considered. In summary, I blame myself.

3. In school others have accused me of faking it for attention coz how could a ray of sunshine turn into a gloomy cloud in a span of a few days? I think people should take into consideration educating themselves so that they may take a second look at the behavior of someone before they judge.

@vriska44 ahh, I understand what you mean! I can sometimes blame myself too, for both my anxiety and depressive thoughts and feelings. It can be tough! But then I have to remind myself to treat myself better, like I would a best friend. Sometimes I have to remind myself of what irrational thoughts are versus rational thoughts too.

I'm sorry you feel as though people think you're making up excuses at school. I agree that more people should be educated on anxiety and depression. Health classes are taught in school.. why don't they add some mental health awareness in those classes?

Thanks for your reply!

vriska44 March 9th, 2017

@LotusFlower92

Thank you for understanding <3

hopefulFireworks63 March 9th, 2017

Do READ!

@hopefulFireworks63 yep, reading is essential :-)

Faeryschild March 9th, 2017

@LotusFlower92

Brilliant post, this topic comes up often in my lectures. There are so many common practices in the health care provision that create stigma in themselves which is so harmful to the individual and the people around them, thank you for bringing this up, this is definitely something we need to talk about more!!

@Faeryschild that's so true! Thanks for your response! Yeah, it's sad that there's stigma in all of it. I think there always will be due to people not really knowing how it feels to be depressed or have anxiety, along with other mental illnesses. I mean, there's people out there who think people with schizophrenia are pure crazy, but in reality, they aren't. It's all about perspective. I think we need to talk about this more as well! When you say, "your lectures," are you a teacher? :-)

Mellietronx March 9th, 2017

v What does it mean to have mental illness? It's something you struggle with everyday, not just once in awhile

v Would you say that you suffer from your own self-stigma? If so, why is that? I do sometimes think I am "crazy" when I am not having a good day.

v Do you experience mental health stigma where you live? If so, what can you do to decrease the possibility of mental health stigma? I think where I live is pretty educated, so the stigma isn't as much a thing as a smaller town.

@Mellietronx thank you for your response! Mental health stigma is a tough topic to discuss. I'm glad your area is pretty educated on it, though! It's refreshing :-)

Maddz4Christ March 9th, 2017

@LotusFlower92

Discussion Questions

v What does it mean to have mental illness?

To have a chemical imbalance in the mind

v Would you say that you suffer from your own self-stigma? If so, why is that?

yes! I am not someone who is easily shamed, yet when the anxiety really started to set in, I became embarrased of its effects on others and how it tore me apart. That's what anxiety does. Turns your own thoughts against you. Anxiety taught me to be afraid of myself. It made me wish that I could just run away from me. I want so badly to be a well adjusted and grounded person and yet here I am in complete uncertainty, wired and stressed.

v Do you experience mental health stigma where you live? If so, what can you do to decrease the possibility of mental health stigma?

yes! My mother first showed me how society does not easily accept mental illnesses. Primarily from a lack of knowledge on how to cope or deal with any kind of disorder of the mind. She was excommunicated from two different churches because of it and brought a gap between me and what I was taught to be right. Thus began my own illness and my decision to keep it hidden as deep as I could. I was good at it...but I don't know how to decrease the stigma because I can't even do it for myself.

@Maddz4Christ I understand what you mean! I can also make myself feel pretty bad when I have a bout of anxiety or depressive thoughts and feelings. It can be tough to tolerate even for myself, but I've found self-coping techniques such as exercising and eating healthy. It really changes the mind and makes me feel great. I've also found that yoga and meditation are extremely helpful.

I think a way to decrease stigma would be to educate others on mental health and talk more about it. Thanks for your response... all great answers!

@LotusFlower92

I have to be educated myself in order to educate others. That's why I am here. I don't know enough to teach others the negative impact of stigma.

I love to eat healthy! Thankfully, that has never been an issue for me. I fall in a family tree of strong cooks, myself inheriting those skills. Eating unwell isn't an option! Praise God for that.

Yoga never did much for me. I don't argue that it isn't healthy. It is! But I never found it intelecually beneficial for me. I prefer active sports or mindfull meditations over yoga. Something I can set up for myself that is geared toward my way of thinking. I'm studious and actively blunt.

The issue for me is 2 things here:

1)How to explain stigma in a way that helps society understand the part it plays and how to coach them in preventing stigma and promote acceptance.

2) How to FIRST do the same for myself.

Self acceptance has been the hardest thing because, with the anxiety, I feel as though I have fallen hard from the person that I used to be or was starting to become before it got in the way. I can't rationally think why it would be anything other than a downfall or a flaw of my character. Acceptance doesn't make sense. Driving out the problem does. But i had been told that once you have anxiety, there is no getting rid of it. It's always there. You just have to manage it. I refuse to believe that I am my flaw or that it is permanently rooted within my thinking. I don't want to accept. I want to fight it and kill it. It doesn't feel like me. It feels like something that was forced on me. I won't claim something that wants to kill me first.

So what I want to do is teach society how to accept the person and not the disease. But that's not even what I am being taught to do...

@Maddz4Christ yep, we definitely have to find ways to manage our anxiety. I think there are some positives to having anxiety though, like being more aware, and mentally preparing ourselves for new situations. Plus I think it builds up our mental strength! We are some very special people :-)

You seem like an awesome person! Thanks again for your response!

@LotusFlower92

Thank you for the benefits that you noticed! Most days, those are almost impossible to see for me. Something else to work on.

LotusFlower92 OP March 10th, 2017

@Maddz4Christ. No problem! Hey, I need to work on it too. It seems like I can see more positives when helping others but when it comes to myself, I struggle. Haha

Maddz4Christ March 10th, 2017

@LotusFlower92

OH same!

Reececup1986 March 9th, 2017

@LotusFlower92

Out standing work. Your very right on this and love that your putting it out there for every one. Thank you for your post

@Reececup1986 thank you very much for your kind words!

@LotusFlower92

Your very welcome

@LotusFlower92

Out standing work. Your very right on this and love that your putting it out there for every one. Thank you for your post

ChloeTheDuck March 9th, 2017

Is actually annoys the hell out of me that the stigma of mental health still exists in this society, let alone people actually make jokes about mental health maybe if people were to be educated on it more the stigma would eventually die down possibly.

@ChloeTheDuck agreed!

jr50 March 9th, 2017

@ChloeTheDuck. I agree with you !

tmf4him March 9th, 2017

What does it mean to have mental illness? A chemical imblance in the brain (similar to how a diabetic has an insulin imbalance in their body.)

Would you say that you suffer from your own self-stigma? If so, why is that? Most definitely. As a Christian, I''m aware that other believers carry the 'stigma' of mental health in the fact that they believe that a devoted follower of Jesus Christ should not suffer from depression. If we do, it is because of a lack of faith. After all, we should have the 'joy of the Lord' in our lives. Struggling with a mental illness has nothing to do with faith. Faith cannot change the way an individual's body functions. Yes, I beleive that God has the power to bring about healing, but I also believe that He gave gifted individuals wisdom and knowledge to develop a variety of forms of treatment for mental illness (just like physical illnesses), which can include medications. I am a pastor's wife and have struggled with depression for over 20 years. I am taking antidepressants now and could very possibly be needing to take them for the rest of my life. It has taken me a long time to deal with the shame and feeling of inadequacies as a person of faith who struggles with depression. I've accepted it, and believe in my heart, that it does not devalue me as a person! I'm becoming more vocal about it, but there is still a fear of what others may think and the potential damage to my credibility as a follower of Jesus Christ.

Do you experience mental health stigma where you live? If so, what can you do to decrease the possibility of mental health stigma? Yes, there is a mental health stigma where I live. There is truly a lack of understanding about mental illness and a lack of awareness of the enormous number of individuals who are struggling with their mental illness alone because of the stigma. My openness and vulnerability to share my own personal struggles have helped others to overcome the stigma and to seek the help they need. If I can make a diffference in just one person's life, it's all worth it!

@tmf4him awh I really appreciate your answers! I've found a lot of faithful Christians hold a stigma toward mental illness too and I find it sad and discouraging. I'm glad you're able to get the help you need, though! I'll probably be on medication for the rest of my life as well. Awesome response!