Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Bulimia Nervosa : Awareness

Hope December 27th, 2016

Hey, Everyone! Recently I started a series of awareness posts on Eating Disorders. I have covered Binge Eating Disorder and Anorexia Nervosa so far. Now I would like to take some time to explain Bulimia Nervosa in detail in this post.

What is Bulimia Nervosa?

Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder usually characterised by periods of binging—or excessive overeating—followed by purging. It is usually known as Bulimia. People with bulimia have a fear of gaining weight; however, that does not mean all people with bulimia are underweight. Some people with bulimia are overweight or obese. They attempt to use purging to manage their weight or prevent additional weight gain. Bulimia nervosa is a serious mental illness that requires intensive treatment. Getting help for your bulimia gives you the best chance to overcome this eating disorder.

What are the major types of Bulimia Nervosa?

There are two common types of bulimia nervosa, which are as follows:

-Bulimia Nervosa Purging type -This type of bulimia nervosa accounts for the majority of cases of those suffering from this eating disorder. In this form, individuals will regularly engage in self-induced vomiting or abuse of laxatives, diuretics, or enemas after a period of bingeing.

-Bulimia Nervosa Non-purging type -In this form of bulimia nervosa, the individual will use other inappropriate methods of compensation for binge episodes, such as excessive exercising or fasting. In these cases, the typical forms of purging, such as self-induced vomiting, are not regularly utilised.

What are the symptoms of Bulimia?

Symptoms of bulimia include:

-Repeated binge eating, or eating larger amounts of food than most people would in a similar situation, in a short period of time (2 hours or less).

-Frequently getting rid of the calories you've eaten (purging) by making yourself vomit, fasting, exercising too much.

-Feeling a loss of control over how much you eat.

-Feeling ashamed of overeating and very fearful of gaining weight.

-Basing your self-esteem and value upon your body shape and weight.

-Thinking about food, your body, or dieting so much that it distracts you from other tasks.

What causes Bulimia?

The exact cause of bulimia is unknown. There are many factors that could play a role in the development of eating disorders, including biology, emotional health, societal expectations and other issues.

Risk factors

Factors that increase your risk of bulimia may include:

-Being female: Girls and women are more likely to have bulimia than boys and men are.

-Age: Bulimia often begins in the late teens or early adulthood.

-Biology: People with first-degree relatives (siblings, parents or children) with an eating disorder may be more likely to develop an eating disorder, suggesting a possible genetic link. It's also possible that a deficiency in the brain chemical serotonin may play a role. And, being overweight as a child or teen may increase the risk.

-Psychological and emotional issues: Psychological and emotional problems, such as anxiety disorder or low self-esteem, can contribute to eating disorders. Triggers for bingeing may include stress, poor body self-image, food, restrictive dieting or boredom. In some cases, traumatic events and environmental stress may be contributing factors.

-Media and societal pressure: The media, such as TV and fashion magazines, frequently feature a parade of skinny models and actors. These images seem to equate thinness with success and popularity. But whether the media merely reflect social values or actually drive them isn't clear.

-Sports, work or artistic pressures: Athletes, actors, dancers and models are at a higher risk of eating disorders. Coaches and parents may inadvertently raise the risk by encouraging young athletes to lose weight, maintain a low weight and restrict eating for better performance.

Thank You all for reading. If you have bulimia then please answer the following questions.

1)What type of Bulimia you have?

2)When did you develop Bulimia?

3)What factors influenced your Bulimia?

4)What effect does your Bulimia has on your mental health?

5)Have you found any coping skills regarding it?

PuppyLove13 December 27th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope As always, I love it! So thank you for taking time out to do this :)

Kuppikeitto August 3rd, 2018

@Hope

Purging bulimia but I also fast for long periods of time.

May 2013.

I've suffered from different EDs for nearly 19 years so it was only a matter of time when I would start purging. It started as a way to lose weight without having to starve 24/7 but obviously there's much more to it.

I'm depressed, I isolate myself, I feel completely hopeless.

Nothing that would work long-term but regular, balanced eating seems to sometimes make the binging less frequent.

peliroja July 7th, 2019

@Kuppikeitto I also find that a balanced diet and healthy eating help me control my episodes of purging... the longer I go without doing it (binge/purge), the easier it is to keep away from.

HappyMother June 5th, 2019

@Hope I have the purging bulimia. First ever to state this.

bxbyxshley September 7th, 2019

@Hope

Ivymarie19 September 24th, 2019

@Hope

I have bulimia non purging type. I have been fasting and binging since 5th grade. It started when I began to be interested in models. I would look at those women and compare myself. I have never been that pretty and I thought that if I got my body to look like theirs that I would be attractive. By doing this to myself I have managed to keep my weight down but it has not made me any more desirable. I have been on a recovery process for a few months now, thanks to my boyfriend. He has made sure that I know I'm wonderful the way I am. To any other girls, or boys, it's not worth it. Even as much it is used, you are BEAUTIFUL the way you are. The world isn't worth it. Dont hurt yourself for its acceptance.

Akuna March 26th, 2020

@Hope

Purging type.

About a year ago, I was seventeen.

I have a boyfriend who is very fit and looks like an athelete. Both my female classmates ( we are only three girls in the class) are really short, a lot shorter than me (I am normal height, some people say I am also short) and overall petite, both really skinny but in a nice way, not sickly skinny. My boyfriend is in the same class with us and I feel ashamed by his side because I see myself next to my girl classmates and I look like a fat giant. I am by no means fat, but I can't get rid of a feeling that I absolutely don't match with him and that a girl like my girl classmates would fit him better. I know it shouldn't matter as long as we love each other, but I can't stop thinking obsesively about it anytime I'm with them.

I have periods of being scared and disgusted by an idea of purging and the there are times when I can purge every other day. I feel ashamed when I'm with my boyfriend, can't go swimming with him or let him to pick me up in the air, because I feel too heavy.

It helps me temporarily to try to manage my food intake by counting calories or trying to eat clean foods and not count, but it never lasts, because it means I set myself under restrictions and I purge when I eat something I "shouldn't". Also exercising makes me feel great. (Mostly everything that feels like I have control and that promises I will lose weight, but my weight never goes down, I have high hypothyroidism.)

Hope OP December 27th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

Eating Disorder Support Taglist

@carrotcakefan , @ForeverKeepRising , @Anomalia @justbreathe11 , @MistyMountainHope , @safeandsoundta , @PuppyLove13 , @1adaptabletiger , @CatGirl2015 , @aminacoffin , @MayBlue , @Just0Annie , @teddybear211 , @summertimesamness

If you would like to be tagged in ED support /awareness posts then please fill this form

ChinaRose December 29th, 2016

1) What type of Bulimia you have?
Bulimia Nervosa Non-purging type (I didn't even know this existed til now!). A few purges, but mostly scared to death of them because I grew up hearing my mother purge and it terrified me.

2) When did you develop Bulimia?
In my teens.

3) What factors influenced your Bulimia?
I was insecure about my weight, no matter how little I weighed, I "felt" fat. Not good enough.

4) What effect does your Bulimia has on your mental health?
A constant struggle. I fight with myself, why can't I control my eating habits? I feel fat and unhealthy and it's just a constant, never-ending guilt-trip.

5) Have you found any coping skills regarding it?
Nothing yet.

Hope OP December 29th, 2016

@MistyMountainHope

Hey ! Yes it does exist but since there is barely any awareness that is why most people don't consider it as Bulimia and it can often be classified as Anorexia .Thank you for answering . So i am seeing that just like your binge eating disorder this also started during your teen years . Being insecure about one's own weight is a tough thing to deal with indeed.I can understand that constant fusturation , one starts to blame themselve because after all we think its just food right ? it should be easy ? why is it so tempting and difficult to eat right ? all these questions are often brought to our attention by our minds but the truth is its not about the food , the issue is way deeper than that , it is not that easy but it is worth it for sure , as far as coping strategies go , i will be making a post on that soon .

ChinaRose December 29th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

Thank you!! Can't wait to see what coping strategies there are to deal with this! You're doing a great job here :)

Hope OP December 29th, 2016

@MistyMountainHope

The pleasure is mine

bluePenny9242 June 21st, 2019

@Hope thank you for taking the time to do this, Its really helpful!!(TW?) But i have a question.. if i didnt binge or overeat then felt the need to purge would i be considered bulimic? like no matter how small the meal is the urge is there

peliroja July 7th, 2019

@Hope

I have never admitted to anyone that I have bulimia. Ever. I couldnt even tell my therapist because I am too ashamed. But... here goes nothing.

Binge/purging type.

I first forced myself to vomit when I was in early high school.

I would not have known about purging as a way to control/lose weight if it had not been taught to us in health class in 7th grade. I didnt care about the danger and I didnt know it would become an addiction. I just wanted to look normal in a swimsuit, I wanted my mom to stop harassing me about my weight.

4)What effect does your Bulimia have on your mental health?

It has always affirmed what I thought to be true... how little self-control I have, how worthless I sometimes feel, and how much pain I am willing to suffer for acceptance.

I found that successfully tracking my food helps because when I manage to stay in a healthy balance with food, water, and exercise; I feel good about myself and the temptation to purge after eating isnt there. I feel valuable and in control.

peliroja July 7th, 2019

@hope as a note for reference, I am now 35 years old and married with three children... my husband doesnt know about my purging. Honestly, its much less frequent when he is home... currently, he is deployed overseas and I believe the stress of three kids and a PCS (military relocation, 6 time zones) has driven me back to it.

CoraTealeaf April 22nd, 2020

Hi all, I find it really helpful looking through some of the other posts on this thread and seeing that other people either feel like they haven't acknolwedged it to themselves or to others that they have bulimia.

I go through phases of purging and at other times I go through periods of excessive exercising. I also go through phases of obsessively tracking calories and working hard to always keep it so that I am burning more than eating...even if I binge. It is very stressful.

No idea. Maybe only sometime in the past year did I suddenly realise that maybe I had an unhealthy relationship with food and my body. Even though I have been doing this for as long as I can remember. But no one ever talked about bulimia being anything other than being sick so I had no idea I had a 'real' problem.

I used to be a ballet dancer until 17 and of course my school was filled with all the typical horror of dance teachers throwing people out for being overweight or having the wrong bone/muscle structure. I was always told I had the right body for a dancer and I guess that at some point then was internalised and I now struggle with maintaining this.

It is horrible its almost all I can think about for days, weeks, months on end. Especially during lockdown I am just constantly thinking about my body and about eating, and then what I will have to do to maintain the body I want.

No...

amicableJet5919 March 13th, 2021

I want to thank you for posting this, as I believed my issue may have been Bulimia, but I was unsure. I've always been "thin" and my friends always talk about my body and almost "praise" it in a way saying "look at your hour glass figure" or "damn girl look at your curves" and I used to workout way too much. I would eat like a pig all day, then restrict myself from eating and workout at least 2 hours everyday. They love my body, but they don't know the story behind my body...over a year ago I lost the habit of working out like that, and I gained quite some weight which made me insecure, so I started purging...it wasn't until then that I realized there was something going on, but I never spoke about it. Last time the never ending cycle of binge eating, then purging and restrictive eating happened, I couldn't leave my bed because I would get sick if I did. This time I felt nauseous nearly every day, I lost 8 pounds in less than a week, and I made myself purge...I didn't know Bulimia was even a thing until I decided to open up to someone I trust and she told me she thinks that's what is affecting me. I want to tell my parents and get the help I need, but I'm too scared to...

joyyy123 May 15th, 2021

1) Bulimia purging type 2) Six months ago 3) When certain family members found out about it, everything got way worse 4) Extreme suicidal thoughts 5) No i didn't

Mel1133 July 11th, 2021

@Hope

I started out anorexic; first due to financial issues then the high of losing weight. There came a point where I couldn't not eat anymore. I was 20 and in college, sleeping in my car. The blinding headaches and inability to concentrate found me in Wal-Mart buying everything that looked good. That night I became a purging bulimic. I ate it all and felt so sick. After that I kept up with my running 8 miles each morning, but at least once a week I purged. As the years went on the purging became more frequent. It was about body image for awhile, but now I'm so isolated I don't care about that anymore. I don't like or eat very much, but when I do I get that sick feeling in my stomach. It has to get out. I haven't found a very good solution except keep away from heavy foods and don't eat early or late in the day.