Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

SSI SSD process

Kristynsmama May 25th, 2015

you can apply for SSI/SSD online at www.ssa.gov. This will save lots of time. Once you complete the application, you will be sent two packets of information to fill out. Make sure to complete by the deadline. Social security will contact your drs to confirm your disability.

Kristynsmama OP June 5th, 2015

If you are denied at first, this is common. Please do not get discouraged. If you are truly disabled, please follow the directions on your denial letter for appeals. Many times people will be approved after an appeal.

TransAm85 July 3rd, 2015

Social Security makes me sick. I was denied maybe 10 times over the past 3 years. Yesterday they completely ended all my insurance, Part A, B, and D. I have epilepsy, but I have worked full time jobs, went to school, and now I have an auto shop w/my husband. So I am not expecting a check, just insurance. But these people say that I don't have epilepsy if I can work and go to school! Makes no sense! So I am supposed to sit home all day and live off a mere $800 a month? c'mon! I am functional! I just have occassionalblack outs, and maybe 2-3 grand mal seizures a year. I cannot drive. So now I have to pay almost $1,000 a month for my medicine .. Do u know any possible way, besides a useless appeal, that I could contact someone w/social Security? Should I get a lawyer? But, a lawyer may not help .. Do you have any advice?

Kristynsmama OP July 7th, 2015

Wow, that sounds very frustrating. I can totally empathize with you as I have been denied disability too. I have epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, hashimotos thyroiditis that fluctuates with graves, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome. I also suffer from my migraines. And I still can't get disability!

I am happy to try to help you navigate the system any way I can. Please pm me and I will see what I can do to help @Transam85

Angel

TransAm85 July 7th, 2015

You obviously need the insurance very bad. It is disgusting that I see people in complete physical shape and mental function, yet they always have a litter of kids, and are recieving government benefits/insurance/SSI or SSD .. but the people who genuinely need the help are denied. I've known a few and they don't legally work either! Obama supports the low income and I truly believe if I was a "person of color", I wouldn't have a problem getting insurance/benefits. I am 100% not racist, my husband is Mexican, but I think our president is racist. The governor of my state is racist. He hates immigrants, so maybe that's why he denied me officially. I didn't start having problems until I got married. It is just so so so irritating!

MadiAsAHatter July 15th, 2015

I sent in my first packet of paperwork and they are saying they didn't get it. I'm wondering if this is going to effect my chances in any way? I just hate this whole process it sucks.

-hugs- to everyone else doing this, too. I am so proud of you all for reaching out for the help you need. It is hard, and this process is definitely difficult, but this is the next step in being able to live the life you deserve to live. <3

Kristynsmama OP July 28th, 2015

@Madiasahatter your application not being complete could affect your chances. The last time I applied, I had more documentation and I dropped it off at my local SSA office. They denied me because i didn't have enough documentation. If it were me, I would take it to a local office and wait to see someone vs. dropping in a drop box.

~Angelwings2