Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What are some good online therapy programs?

CinnamonRoll10 June 4th, 2020

I've recently made the decision to seek out help for my mental issues because I'm having an extremely hard time trying to fix and manage them on my own. I've been researching online therapists and websites I could join, but I was wondering if any of you guys know any good ones? Preferably I'd like to seek a website that has certified therapists which a relatively cheaper cost. I'm a 17 year old who will be paying for this out of pocket with a minimum wage job so the cheaper the better. Thank you!!

RarelyCharlie June 4th, 2020

@CinnamonRoll10 A recommendation from someone you know and trust in real life might be better than asking here. For example, your doctor might be able to make a recommendation.

State certification is very limited, and it's not an accurate indication of a therapist's skill.

7 Cups itself provides relatively cheap online therapy, of course.

The only organizations I know that formally test therapists' skill with real clients are the Academy of Cognitive Therapy and the Beck Institute.

If therapy has to be online, you might find that some therapists will agree to do online therapy if you ask them, even if their website doesn't advertise it. The rules about online therapy have changed recently in some places, and many websites are not up to date.

When cost is important, it is sometimes useful to think about the total cost, not just the cost per session.

For example, suppose you see a top therapist for six sessions, once a month at $200 a session. You've spent $1,200. But suppose you see a cheap therapist for a year, once a week at $40 a session. You've spent $2,000, and sometimes cheap therapists extend treatment for two years or more.

I hope this is some help. If you'd like to chat, you're welcome to click on my profile picture and send me a message.

Charlie