Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anti-anxiety/panic attack techniques

KfindingSpeaceK July 7th, 2015

Tip to help with an anxiety attack:

- Look around you.
- Find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste.
This is called grounding. It can help when you feel like you have lost all control of your surroundings.

Alternate:
Find 5 things of different colors, name their five colors. Like: Brown chair, white table, green couch, red walls, blue box. Brown, white, green, red, blue. Repeat them in your head or say it out loud if you prefer.

There's also the option to sit on the edge of a chair (or any stable surface), then you put your hands on your knees while keeping your back straight. This will forces you to keep keep your balance, and feel more grounded to the world around you. At the same time, find the five colors and repeat it in your head.

Feel free to share any tips that you have as well!

Roadie July 7th, 2015

Nice one :)

EtaAlpha July 8th, 2015

I saw this exact technique very recently, yesterday I think, but I can't for the life of me remember where! Thank you for sharing! :)

creeeampuff155 July 9th, 2015

thank you this is very helpful !

JoiedeViva July 9th, 2015

If you have your iPod or a cd player, find a song (or songs) that you like or calm you. (I often choose something without lyrics that could trigger me more). Then listen for different instruments - if you have a musical background try to name them and determine the count they cue in on. Even without training try to determine which instrument is loudest, softest, following the melody, etc. You can listen to the same song on repeat picking out different instruments and following them each time until you feel calmer.

KfindingSpeaceK OP July 9th, 2015

Very nice idea!

brittsnowuh24 October 5th, 2015

@JoiedeViva I've been plugging in my headphones, closing my eyes, and listening to this lately and it's helped a ton! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvo4P0SfBOw

MidnightRaven999 June 27th, 2018

@JoiedeViva I do this all the time and it helps so much

Blessingofsmile85 July 9th, 2015

True...,

plumBlueberry5108 July 9th, 2015

Next time I have a panic attack I'm going to try this. Thank you for posting.

Strengthisnoteasy September 6th, 2015

This is also a treatment for PTSD and flashback survivors.

Consolas September 13th, 2015

I don't like distractions because they're just that, distractions. The panic is still there, it'll just hit later. I used to have panic attacks but I've discovered that being brutally objective takes the legs out from under panic attacks and makes it difficult for them to come back.

Ask why you're scared, what causes it and don't stop until you get the most objective answers you can.

intuitiveBlueberry3321 September 22nd, 2015

Sounds like it would work, but I'd be very scared to try that. Sounds a bit like a Mindfulness exercise I did, but with that one you kind of explored bit by bit - if things got icky you could kind of pull yourself back to the breathing. Same goal I guess.

shannybate June 26th, 2018

Unless you have a 7 year old who suffers from this. They cannot really answer these questions.

I am glad you can do this for yourself. I can do it for myself but my daughter is a walking mess right now to the point that she gets numbness in her hands and feet that it is very painful for her. We have started doing the above and it is helping and we are also going to start play therapy in July.

Blessed day to you and your strong will!

intuitiveBlueberry3321 September 22nd, 2015

Sometimes when I'm anxious I make myself count how many times my anxiety turned out to be A) something real to worry about, and B) how many times it didn't. Lets just say that my A score has never raised above approximately zero, and by B score is rather large.

I'll still be anxious next week, but it seems to help in the moment.

selfconfidentLemon3866 October 5th, 2015

I get anti anxiety and panic attack but I techniquelly talk through the attack to a counselor or other staffs at school and than I slowly calm down and feel happy.

acfr204 November 4th, 2015

I watched my daughter have what I think is her first anxiety attack tonight. It was startling because she has never displayed anything like this before. I've been a paramedic for 27 years, I know anxiety is real, I see it all the time. She is almost 14, intelligent, mature for her age (we never babied or sheltered any of our children) and had gotten her foot hurt in a soccer game. I had been talking to her about her foot and then another player was hurt so I went to check on that one. When I came back my daughter's hands were clinched and she was breathing about 30-40 breaths a minute. I knew right away from the pained expression on her face she was having a panic attack and hyperventilating. I was able to talk her down, this time. Anyhow, I saw a post about these techniques on Facebook I guess so I googled it and here I am. I have shared this page with her so maybe if she can learn coping techniques early on it will help her in the long term.

PanLatata June 27th, 2018

This is really good advice and it works.

Positron2 July 24th, 2018

There have been many times when people enter the chat rooms in full blown anxiety attack panic mode.
After I teach them Progressive Relaxation, they always thank me for easing their suffering.
However, it takes over the room for a while and often people are reluctant to go on YouTube to try it themselves.

Try a Progressive Relaxation YouTube video. they go into more detail than my little meme.

Gettingby40 August 27th, 2018

@Positron2

I love this exercise

Malmoo August 5th, 2018

Breathing exercises also help a lot, inhaling for 5 seconds, holding for 5 and exhaling for 5 helps you regulate your breathing and increases circulation, in turn oxygenating your brain and making you think more clearly.

Siofra August 26th, 2018

Thank you so much for posting this! It's really hard once I start feeling bad. I end up barely wanting to feel better and I end up just wallowing in negativity, but grounding exercises help a lot.