Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Expanded Forum Guidelines: 2. Speaking English

tommy November 5th, 2023

This post is a part of our series on expanded forum guidelines to help all users better understand the purpose of each guideline and for forum moderators to understand appropriate behaviour and review examples of this rule in action.

My post was edited/deleted for not speaking in English. What does that mean?

1. For moderation and inclusive participation, we ask you to please use English in the forum space.

Purpose of rule: To create an inclusive and easily accessible space for everyone to participate and understand the discussions that take place in the forums.

Examples: Me he sentido deprimido y siento que no hay nadie a quien pueda acudir en busca de apoyo.

Explanation: English is commonly used in forums for its global accessibility, ensuring that a diverse audience can participate and understand discussions. It promotes clarity, consistency, and efficient moderation while enhancing searchability on the internet. By using English, the forums maintain a neutral, inclusive platform for users from various linguistic backgrounds, fostering effective and accessible communication.

Appropriate Action: The forum moderator should remove the post written in any other language than English. Users can expect to receive a message from the 7CupsForum account with an explanation as to why their post was removed, as well as information on how to seek support in their native language. For any discrepancies with posts, you can email forum@7cups.com and we will investigate.

For Forum Moderators (Grey Areas):
Mis amigos me intimidan delante de los demás pero cuando estamos solos son amables conmigo. No sé cómo manejar esto.

My friends bully me in front of others but when we are alone they are nice to me. I don't know how to handle this.

While this does contain Spanish in the post, it is also clear that the user has provided an English translation. In this case, the post is allowed to stay up and does not need to be deleted since there is an English translation and is easy to understand for both English and Spanish speakers. However, it is important to spontaneously quality check translations to ensure they are accurate and do not have a different meaning to the English.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 5th, 2023

This is most needed hehe, thank you for the explanation. Since it's a (comparatively) newish guideline, I hope this is alerted for the community!💛