Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Leadership and Recognition Incentives

Heather225 September 22nd, 2023

Our community is fueled by (com)passion, and driven by the countless hours our volunteers pour into their work to care for one another. This service is rewarding and made even more so by hearing confirmation of your positive impact.

Every time you show appreciation to someone, you’re making a deposit in their emotional bank account. You’re building up their self-esteem, validating their effort, and inspiring them to keep doing good. Even just a simple thank you can be a morale boost. It makes us feel seen.

Plus the more you highlight the contributions of others, the more inclined they’ll be to collaborate with you and have your back.

I’d like us as leaders to reflect and answer the following questions in the replies:

🌟 In what way(s) do you like to be acknowledged? What acts of recognition are your favorite to receive?

🌟 How do you express gratitude for your fellow leaders?

-

Here are some ways you can utilize the community’s resources to show appreciation:
Peer Appreciation - Our strongest ongoing peer-to-peer appreciation initiative run by the community for the community and everyone is encouraged to take part

Leadership Spotlight - The entire community can nominate leaders from all levels to be featured in their own highlight post

Project Tulip - To further show our appreciation and provide a way for the community to acknowledge dedicated listeners, members can nominate a listener for a special badge

Please list any others that deserve mention!

Heather225 OP September 22nd, 2023

and in the spirit of this topic, big thanks to @MistyMagic for helping prompt this post

SparkyGizmo September 23rd, 2023

@Heather225

Hi H! 😊 ❤️ Thank you, for yet again, another amazing forum post! Everything that you said highly resonates with me. It really is interesting in that I was thinking along these very same lines this morning because I am still thinking about another great forum post that you created....about leadership qualities/how to be an effective leader.

Perhaps you and I are "vibrating on the same frequency" and if so, that is a very good thing. Best you could ask for, I imagine. This post, to me, works "hand in hand" with the other one.

I love how you brought up the concept of the emotional bank account. You are the only person that I have seen do that thus far here on the site. It's a concept that I embrace. The way the emotional bank account works for many (kind of, rule of thumb) is that it takes 5 deposits into the emotional bank account to counteract 1 emotional with draw. So that's just being "even" and not even moving ahead.

I think about that often as I work along the platform. What it is that we do here on the site is not always easy. People of course need help, support, motivation and someone to believe in them when it gets hard in an effort to *have fun and keep your tank full*.❤️

Some days we can feel as if we have had the "stuffing beat out of us" lol 😊. Picking someone up, dusting them off and giving them words of encouragement can really go a long way! Recognition, incentives and positive reinforcement for the good things that we do, really can go a long way.

I also love how you mentioned that by providing some form of positive reinforcement, others will be more inclined to collaborate with you and have your back. Well said my friend, so very well said.

If you tell a child they are bad, they will be more inclined to be bad. If you tell a child they are good, they will be more inclined to be good. Translates easily to adults. If you never have anything nice to say to or about a teammate, but simply fill them full of a daily dose of negativity, they will shut you out completely.

People know better than this. People know that they are not all bad. They will no longer listen to you if your idea of effective leadership is to eagerly pounce on them at every twist and turn, to want to see negativity and to be cold and punitive.

What ways do you like to be acknowledged? What acts of recognition are your favorite to receive?

I always say "no wee bit of kindness is ever lost on me". I am truly grateful for any kind word, acknowledgement, recognition, "seeing me" that comes my way and no matter what shape or form it comes in. It becomes part of my gratitude moments as does the person that gave me that moment to feel good about myself, my work, etc. ❤️

How do you express gratitude for your fellow leaders? I have a variety of ways that I like to do this. I will say "thank you" publicly in rooms or forums, commend them for a job well done. I will also thank others privately via pm's. I like to nominate others for badges, peer appreciations, and remind them of all of the good things that they do here on the platform and that it doesn't go unnoticed.

I like to let others know that I "see" them, that I am grateful that they are here and are willing to share their time, treasures and talents with us all. ❤️

Something as simple as a forum upvote can make anothers *heart sing*

Sometimes also hearing others and completely will be my way of showing others that they matter. Validating their feelings, making sure that they know that they have been heard and listened to.

Many times we have to question if we are "listening" simply to reply....(thinking of some sort of clever or not so clever reaction that could be largely unhelpful) or if we are "listening" to truly hear them out and focusing on their words, thoughts and feelings and showing empathy while giving them a very thoughtful response.

I think letting another know that they are worthy of being heard is an act of recognition too.

Again, many thanks H for another amazing, as well as thought provoking forum post!

*high fives* 😊 big *hugs* ❤️ and keep rockin' the house my friend!

MistyMagic September 25th, 2023

@SparkyGizmo Love that post! Especially this bit "Something as simple as a forum upvote can make anothers *heart sing* " Even more now we can see who does the upvoting ❤️ or hearting (and who don't lol 💔)

Listening - One Step At A Time!

MistyMagic September 25th, 2023

@Heather225 Thank you for taking the time to make this post and show us all how much a simple 'thanks' can make a world of difference to recognition, morale and motivation, and even more to things like retention, and encouraging people to care about themselves because you show you care and they are worth it!

These sentences particularly rang home for me!

"Every time you show appreciation to someone, you’re making a deposit in their emotional bank account. You’re building up their self-esteem, validating their effort, and inspiring them to keep doing good. Even just a simple thank you can be a morale boost. It makes us feel seen."

I try and make sure I am always polite and say 'thank you', and of course 'please' too! For me, it is natural and instinctive and I find it makes such a difference and helps teams work together more cohesively and with a joint focus and positive spirit. The projects you highlighted can be extremely helpful too, just knowing someone cares enough to fill out a form or vote can be empowering, but sometimes the personal touch is needed so that a person understands that it is you who appreciates them.

so sending appreciation to all my teams!

You Rock!

you-rock-you-rock-gif.gif

@tommy @theriverissinging @affyAvo @sunishiningandsoareyou @EmotionsListener @Audienta @Bookwork274 @Fristo @Harsvin @ThetoastGod @Ralien @SomebodySpicy13 @Lou73 @SleepyShyCat @Suryansh @Heather225 @Asilentobserver @Hope

Listening - One Step At A Time!