Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Very scared

goodSpruce3041 August 9th

Hello all. Life has not been kind to me. Too many tragedies and losses to talk about here. Current problem is that I got laid off and then got cancer, and then had after-affects that set me back. Good news is that I'm healthy again (and grateful for it). But I'm running out of savings and have to get a job again. BUT I'm nearly 70 (look much younger, thankfully). I'm scared I won't get hired because of my age. I have an apartment and the rent has gone up so much (damned economy). The layoff and cancer took most of my savings. I'll never get to retire! It'll be just drudge until I die, probably. My family (what's left of it) can't help. What a terrible life, all my hopes and dreams are dead. How do I go on? Why should I got on?

Please someone talk to me and pray for me, maybe God will listen to you (never listens to me).

MaryInthetrees August 9th

Dear Friend,

You are still breathing, living, walking, thinking….. you still have that potential to create a life. It may not be what you dreamed of for so long but….what can be? What can you create now, starting where you stand?

Let go completely of the former dreams and hopes if they have become a stuck you are measuring yourself against and driving yourself to a place of disappointment and dissatisfaction.

start where you stand…right now. What can be now using what you have right now?

Afterall, 70 is the new 50. You still have promise and potential as long as you live. Retirement and comfort kill people faster than many other things. Get up, go out and start living in a new way…seeing what can be now.

There’s always more right with you than wrong. Perseverance Furthers…

Kindest wishes, Mary In The Trees

MaryInthetrees August 9th

Typo! Stick….not stuck.

TexasChef7 August 9th

@goodSpruce3041

I'm here and I have you in my thoughts this evening, wherever you may be. I'm half your age but probably in twice the trouble. I wish I could find the words that you need to hear right now. Sending all my energy your way, things will get better. I hope to see that age one day. I'm very fortunate to still be here despite everything :)

amiablePeace77 August 10th

@goodSpruce3041

I am glad you're healthy again! You overcame a very scary time, and it would be nice to have some peace of mind now - be free of worries. I wish I could tell you where to find a job and earn some money to pay the bills but sadly I can't. Do you have any special talents or passions that you could turn into a job? Please don't give up hope, something might come up unexpectedly.

I will keep you in my prayers. 

ivoryBalloon5890 August 10th

@goodSpruce3041 that’s a lot. I’m sorry you’ve gone through so much lately. I wonder if you have any old hobbies or interests that used to bring you joy that you could try to get back into to help build your confidence back up? 

Pinkdaisy94 August 10th

@goodSpruce3041

praying for you! That you can find a new job and a new situation. That you would still be able to rest and that you wouldn’t have to worry anymore.

EmpathywithKaushik24 August 10th

I’m truly sorry to hear about the challenges you’ve faced. It’s incredibly inspiring that you’ve overcome cancer and are now healthy again. Your resilience is remarkable, and it’s important to remember that your experiences have made you stronger.

While the future may seem daunting, there are still opportunities out there. Many companies value the wisdom and experience that come with age. It might be helpful to look into organizations that support older workers or consider part-time or freelance work that can provide flexibility.

It’s also worth exploring community resources or support groups that can offer assistance and encouragement. Remember, you’re not alone, and there are people and organizations that can help.

goodSpruce3041 OP August 17th

Thank you so much, for all of your kind words. They're a comfort to me. I really appreciate it. 😢

goldenStrawberries24 August 17th

big hugs 🤗 hope you can get through it and perhaps you could start your own business? any hobbies you like?

probably it could be something you enjoy the most.. nowadays it’s easy to get free resources to learn new skills :)

I believe you can do it!

sending prayers and God bless you!

Olive1Q82 August 19th

I’m sorry for what you are going through. That is not easy. 😔

I too believe I’ll never see retirement. I fear that will be the case for most people moving forward. It’s a sad reality.

Have you considered adding some certifications and new skills to your resume? It’s never too late. Plus, it will give you something positive to focus on while you look for a job. I recently became a notary public so that I could add that to my resume. I think you can get certifications through LinkedIn Learning and it’s relatively inexpensive to join.

In the meantime, maybe there’s a hobby you can pursue for an hour or two a day to take your mind off the job search stress. I’m taking up Pickle Ball with the rest of the world. Haha.

You are in my prayers. 💛