Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

It used to be easier

sensitiveBranch7948 March 29th, 2023

When you felt anxiety just take deep breaths, calm down, try to relax, do all the things…

But now a days, at 53, almost 1 year post menopausal, sometimes like right now…skipped heart beats some call palpitations, happen beyond my control. Dr.s say it’s anxiety. I’ve had the full gamut of testing.

A pattern started though I think. My adult son is having issues, 24 hours later skipped heartbeats started while trying to fall asleep. Next night was better. Then another issue with him arose. Now it’s 24 hours later and they’re back, skipped heart beats. After 6 or 7 breathing cycles in and out….a skipped heart beat, feels like a quickening when it happens. Sometimes it feels like a butterfly but it’s a little more startling.

anyway…. It used to be easier to control the body. Physical manifestations of anxiety seemed more acute but now after 24 hours my body seems to manifest the anxiety of prior stressful moments. Same thing happened last year when my dad passed.

it’s like the older I get I fear I’m becoming less resilient, weaker, more fragile more frail. Life takes its toll.

Drinking hot water. Relaxing…but they still occur. Maybe I can fall asleep soon.

amiablePeace77 March 31st, 2023

@sensitiveBranch7948

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dad and what you're going through rn. Palpitations can be very scary. It seems that your body reacts almost instantly on any perceived stressors like worries about your son for example.

Something I find helpful when dealing with anxiety are supportive mantras, a good healthy diet (avoiding foods that contain simple carbohydrates, such as sugary foods and drinks and drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated) and doing meditations to retrain the mind to become calmer.

It is easier said than done but in my experience daily meditation can help to reduce the baseline level of anxiety.

Here is a link to our Women's Issues Community where you can find posts about Menopause and Perimenopause https://www.7cups.com/home/women/ if you think that hormonal imbalances might be the major cause.

I hope this helps and please remember you can always connect to a listener here

sensitiveBranch7948 OP April 1st, 2023

Thank you for your thoughtful words. It keeps happening each night when I lie down to sleep. I do Thai Chi sometimes and it really helps initially but then if I don’t fall asleep right away the palpitations start again. I will try practicing meditation daily to change the baseline. It seems everything to do with peri menopause, menopause and even post menopause is centered around just hot flashes and dryness issues. No one really talks about anxiety as a menopausal or post menopausal symptom. My diet is very good and I’m at a healthy BMI. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I could get medical marijuanna for anxiety but I’m too scared it might cause palps. When I’m trying to fall asleep I do focus on gratitude as much as possible. Thanks again.

adventurousBranch3786 April 1st, 2023

@sensitiveBranch7948. I had a lot of anxiety during my peri menopause. I agree it was hard to find articles about that problem.