Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Toxic Family Members

stilltrying126 August 24th, 2023

It’s really hard to remove toxic family members from your life. I was doing pretty well the last couple of years, but recently I let myself get dragged back in. I had a minor breakdown. There are definitely 3 people I absolutely cannot have in my life due to mental health stress. I’ve had to give up going to all family functions with in laws because those 3 are integral family members. I’m still in a state of mourning, but I know in the long run, it’s for the best.

toughTiger6481 August 24th, 2023

@stilltrying126

It is hard sometimes especially when you still deal with people in touch with those members . Many may try to pull you back in .......

i always told myself....."remember do not stand close to a swamp gators are lurking to pull you in "

Stay strong and remember why you chose your mental health over others... people seldom change that much either.

stilltrying126 OP August 24th, 2023

@toughTiger6481

It definitely is tough, especially when there’s such a strong social media presence. I’ve had to block these 3 people and asked my parents to do the same. I can love them but I don’t have to like them.

SunShineAlwaysGrateful August 26th, 2023

@stilltrying126

Sooo sorry to hear this but glad you are making boundaries of self care for your comfort. Take care of yourself. I know you may struggle with this boundary but overtime it may change. Hang in there. 🤗🤗🤗🤗

Thank you for posting. You can get support here in the forums. Do keep us up to date too.

Barltik2065 August 31st, 2023

@stilltrying126

Hello StillTrying;

We hear you. You are valid for feeling as you do. I too have such members. Thankfully we do not have any family functions considering that we all can’t get along long enough to make a decision.

Being you are the expert of you, you know what is best for you. We support you.

Boundaries are comforting and healthy for you. Glad to hear you are making decisions to keep you healthy. You are stronger than you think.