Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Discouraged about career change

anonuser2023 September 22nd, 2023

I used to have my own business and got burnt out. I've been fortunate to be able to take a few years to travel, do a masters program, and reassess. But now that I'm getting serious about building a second career - I've hired a coach, I'm reading all the things - I just feel so discouraged. Applying for jobs is soul-*** enough (I've been self-employed most of my life) and I don't even know what half the job titles mean, let alone have the skills people are looking for. I'm willing to retrain to a point, but even then I feel like I've lost my professional networks and don't even have people to ask about potential opportunities. I thought recruiters would be more helpful in identifying roles my skills could transfer to. It's all making me feel like I'm lazier and less accomplished than I thought I was. Ugh.

toughTiger6481 September 22nd, 2023

@anonuser2023

It is not fun looking for a job and even a career change ... if in interview you may overcome any obstacle but getting there is harder then it used to be honestly .....

some applications are weeded out by a faulty algorithm or the confusing titles as i have been in a few jobs where the "title" was impressive instead of compensation...

hard to explain an impressive title was just glorified admin or something...

job descriptions often do not match job either some make it sound harder to try to nattow who applies etc ... it does not work so people are left trying to sort out something they would have a beeter luck doing with a competent HR person using common sense instead of computer did not pick up on key words it was programmed to look for in resume.