Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Confusing reaction to stress

warmheartedWest725 January 14th, 2022

Lately, it seems that every time I would feel stressed or upset about something, my mind would immediately go to a memory/event that I felt really happy about and that I really loved/enjoyed immensely when it happened. Problem is after enjoying the memory, I would get sad or depressed again this time over how much I missed that memory occurring the way it occurred and how it is possible I may never get to experience it like that again. People always say don’t get stuck in your past, it’s dangerous to live in your past. If that’s true, why is it so bad to want those past memories back, to live in them, and to enjoy them they way you did when they first happened? And why does my brain always rush back there, if I am not supposed to get caught up in that? Getting really confused and depressed about this…..

lovingSkies3397 January 15th, 2022

@warmheartedWest725

Hi

I am not sure about why this happens either, however I hope that you can gain some hope that new positive memories are in your Future for sure, and I wish you all the very best in making them happen.

theSilentHeart February 11th, 2022

@warmheartedWest725

I'm assuming your bringing back those memories is not a safety behavior - that you were actually able to go into the stressful situation and face it feeling calmer because you had brought back those memories. So it could be a good coping strategy. Unfortunately it also serves as a trigger for your depression - something you need to work on obviously.

From "Mind over Mood":

Imagery can be used to help you calm down before you enter a situation that is likely to
make you feel anxious. Imagery can also give you the courage to stay in situations long
enough to experience the natural reduction in anxiety that occurs over time. It helps to
imagine scenes that are tranquil and relaxing to you, or inspirational ideas that increase
your commitment to facing anxiety.