Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Starting over at 36

resourcefulOwl7361 July 14th, 2021

Hi everyone, my boyfriend and I just broke up and I am now trying to rebuild my life but I’m having trouble with so many aspects. The biggest one is that I’m looking for an apartment but I live in a big city and work in an affluent area so it’s been hard to find something affordable especially without having someone to split expenses with. I’m past the point in my life where I want roommates and I want to live in a safe area now being a single female. It may take me some time to find a place that “checks all the boxes” but it’s tough mentally when I’m eager to just start over. Just putting this out there to see if anyone else can relate, perhaps anyone going through a divorce?

Nevermore1845 July 14th, 2021

I can relate this weekend would have been my 22nd anniversary but 9 months ago my "soul mate" cheated on me in our house. So I am starting over at 48 and never thought I would have to. The good news is I have a place to live the bad news is...it's where I was betrayed so I am stuck in a house that is a constant trigger. I can't stand being here but don't know where to go. I bought this house for us to retire in. Stupid me.

courageousPeach7743 July 15th, 2021

I can do it 😁

resourcefulOwl7361 OP July 16th, 2021

I am so sorry to hear that, I believe in karma and whoever cheats will get what they deserve! I was with my ex for 9 years and also thought he was my soulmate 😔 I don’t blame you for not knowing where to go but part of me thinks you shouldn’t have to move just because of someone else’s actions. I’m sure the constant triggers are rough, I can’t even imagine! I hope you’re able to find peace during the healing process and that you’ll eventually be able to make new and happy memories in your home! But if the triggers are too much, it’s totally fine to explore other living options to have a have a fresh start! I hope you are taking care of yourself no matter what you do 💕

TradingTiaras July 16th, 2021

@resourcefulOwl7361
I am in the same boat. I just recently had the courage to leave my husband of 10 years, and am now looking for an apartment in a city. I am injured, so finances are not stable. I am going to have to use a guarantor service because my ex got evicted from our last place and it was in both of our names. It is a real struggle but people go through things like this everyday. We are not the first and will probably not be the last. We got this!!

resourcefulOwl7361 OP July 16th, 2021

I’m glad you left an unhealthy relationship. I was with my ex for 9 years. Even though I think separating is probably for the best in the long run, it’s just so hard financially! I hope you’re able to find a place soon. Come back here and let me know when you do! 🙂