Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Germaphobia - Am I overreacting?

strwberryhearts September 5th

Hello, it’s been so long since I’ve used this app, alot has happened since then. Just wanted to come back here to talk and feel a little less alone.

I don’t even know whether to call myself a germaphobe or not because nobody understands me. My mom will look at me weird if I refuse to do something that requires touching someone else’s stuff. I don’t touch doorknobs, don’t touch light switches, don’t hug or get close to anyone anymore/ including my family, I don’t eat anyone’s cooking or get food from restaurants/fast food places anymore, I always want distance between me and the other person I’m talking to if we are in the same room. I don’t let people touch me. My germaphobia has gotten worse than it was years back and since covid. I am obsessed with keeping things neat and clean. I don’t like it when people help me do stuff especially if it involves them touching my stuff because my mind will scream at me until I eliminate their germs with hand sanitizer. If I don’t eliminate the germs, I just know the germs will spread to everything in my room. A few days back, my mom’s boyfriend put back up my fire alarm for me and I thought about that alarm for 2 days straight… I was thinking about how someone else touched it and how there are germs on it and they are probably spreading around my entire room. I thought about it for 2 days straight. The only reason I didn’t eliminate the germs in time was because I can’t reach the fire alarm/don’t want to trigger it to going off if I try to wipe it with hand sanitizer. I don’t like it when people touch my doorknob to my room, I don’t share stuff anymore (combs, lotion etc) if I do, I’ll just end up letting them keep it because they touched it. Germaphobia has ruined my life for the better and for the worst. I will never be able to be in a relationship, have friends again and be able to do stuff with them or be able to have a quiet mind.

Also when someone is sick/mentions they’re sick, I always end up panicking and thinking that I’m gonna get sick just by standing by them for 3 seconds and then I end up taking Tylenol and Benadryl just in case. I also get my humidifier too. I wear my mask always and take my hand sanitizer with me wherever I go. I sometimes wear long sleeves if I have to open a door out in public. I never shop with a shopping cart (I always carry my groceries around the store). I avoid aisles that people are on and always walk the long way (I go down aisles where nobody is) even if I was getting something from the other one. I immediately shower when I get home and scrub my body very aggressively.

My mom gets mad at me sometimes and calls me weird/says it drives her crazy. Then when I tell her about health she always says that I’ll be the main one to get sick because I wear a mask and worry about staying safe too much? :( I don’t go out anywhere. I also don’t sit on the toilet seat to use the bathroom/I always put alot of tissue down before I sit and I sit on the edge. I also never walk barefoot on the floor at home no matter what. I also change my clothes from when I go to the kitchen and from when I get back into my room. For example, I have a pair of clothes to wear for when I go to the kitchen and after I make it back to my room, I will immediately change into the other clean clothes but that are only for my room and then I’m allowed to lay in my bed.

jacek73 September 9th

@strwberryhearts Hello :-) First of all, I want to say you are still a valuable - and I believe loved - person, despite your suffering.

May I ask you if have you been ever diagnosed with OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder)? The situations you are describing remind me that, and also have something in common with what I had experienced.

Don't you think it is a kind of a paradox?: What is expected to protect you (not touching anybody or anything) is actually doing you no good ('cause I imagine you might be dying inside from a lack of a warm hug, patting your arm by someone, a kiss on your cheek or a friendly handshake).

The matter is even more complicated when you consider the fact that your immune system needs some contact with germs to learn how to fight them. What is more, without any external danger it can start to attack... you. This is some kind of a civilization trap of today.

Obviously, I totally agree with you it's wise to avoid infected people, to not get dirty without a good reason, or to treat sitting in a public transport somehow risky. But still we have to be happy and relaxed sometimes to feel alive...

What are you planning to do with your problem?