Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxious and Depressed

lovingVillage6519 February 7th, 2022

My husband has an addictive personality and got focused on a house. He pushed us to move and agreeing to it was the worst decision of my life. I am severely depressed as a result and having anxiety about the move.

VioletSpringGlade February 25th, 2022

@lovingVillage6519

Hello
That sounds so very stressful for you. It sounds like maybe there isn't good communication between you? It can be very hard to communicate with someone who takes over and gets fixated on their own thoughts and decisions, especially when we have anxiety or depression. It can really help to talk through the situation with a family counsellor/therapist.

InquireWithin March 8th, 2022

@lovingVillage6519

There's a word I am fond of. It's called agency. Agency, in this context, does not refer to a group of people with a business purpose or a mission or way to provide services, such as a talent agency, or a social services agency. Rather, agency in this sense is a person's personal power to effect change, to determine the course of their life, or their power or ability to make decisions, carry out plans, or move toward a specific goal.

Your husband's actions to uproot you and get engaged in this move, from what you are describing is a complete takedown of your personal sanctuary (i.e., your home). His actions removed your agency. No wonder you are anxious and depressed. You're perfectly within your rights to feel this way. Don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. This was a gross violation of your right to personal agency. As a marriage partner, you're yoked into this scheme he dreamed up, and it's going to affect you significantly.

I hope you can find a supportive person offline or nearby so you can process these concerns.

thoughtfulLake1842 March 11th, 2022

Sorry this happened. I moved from NY to VA several years ago. We left behind a good group of friends. I don’t work so before COVID I was alone during the day. When I got to VA, I had places I would go that made me happy. I went to an outdoor mall and got a tea and drank it outside. I would visit my favorite stores (you don’t have to spend much). The complex I lived in put together a book club. So, if you like reading, you can look for one or start one. Moving is no doubt hard especially if you weren’t a part of the decision. I hope this helped.