Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How does one cope with the heartbreak of a relationship that never existed?

Dreee August 18th

I'm not usually the type of person to type my feelings outside but I'm pained and heartbroken so I'll let this slide.

On my birthday yesterday, the guy I liked for four years blocked me? Why because I was too nice for him, because I finally got the courage to tell him all the things he does that makes me uncomfortable and then he called me a coward and I should have told him sooner and I know I should've but the fact that I'm telling him doesn't that count as something? But he didn't care, he left me on read and blocked me.

Now aside from the fact that my heart feels like well a heart aching... I get it, I took in all that from him but I had the courage to tell him, but I wasn't expecting him to call me weak and then block me.

It made me realize that there really is a difference in the perspectives of people. I thought that me trying to clear things up and have an open talk about it would clear things up but he thought me doing at that instance in time instead of telling him sooner was cowardly and weak. I really thought that being understanding to someone could solve any argument but what happens when the other person isn't as understanding as well?

And why doesn't anyone talk about the pain from loving someone you never dated?! It's painful, it feels like the pain I'd get from having an imaginary boyfriend that almost proposed to me but I caught him cheating or something.

I'm starting to think any form of loving someone is equally as painful, be it relationship or not.

PineTreeTree August 18th

@Dreee Relationships come with risks. Have a solid relationship with yourself that allows you weather relationship storms. My guess is that someone who blames you and runs would have the same reaction if you mentioned these feelings earlier. Whose the real coward? 

toughTiger6481 August 19th

@Dreee

have you considered that pain is self induced  and pain is not in missing a relationship that never was.... but missing the idea or dream of what could be. Letting go of the hopes and dreams we have for anything........... a person / a possibility is hard because we never add what if's and problems in our fantasy. 

Maybe he was not ready for you to open up and confess and while I do not think you are  weak ....I would wonder why someone took so many years to open up .   Imagine yourself in their shoes, Would  you feel awkward knowing someone was had  a crush on you and tells you years into it.  That each smile in past or sideways look could have meant more then you think. Maybe they need time to take it all in.

SunShinepress August 19th

@Dreee The fact that you told him about how you feel counts as a lot and most certainly shows courage. It's him who apparenlty didn't value your approach. 

I suspect this guy being overwhelmed not expecting that move from you. It seems as if he wasn't ready for what you were about to say. 
If he were the one who's strong and curageous he'd respond to your message in a more mature and respectful way. Just saying "No thx I'm not interested" would be something but just blocking and calling you weak is obvioulsy the weakest thing one could do. You loved him but he didn't even have the decency to reject you properly.

You're not the one who's weak. You showed strength by talking about your feelings. You did everything you could.

The feeling of loving someone you never dated is a common thing I guess. It has been a motive in literature for centuries and probably still be a thing as long as humanity exists ;D A modern example would be 'friendzoned' which basically is the same as unrequited love.
SparkyGizmo August 19th

@SunShinepress

❤️ 💡 ❤️

SparkyGizmo August 19th

@Dreee

Hi Dreee! 😊 ❤️ Thank you for your forum post, for reaching out for support and I know it can be really hard to do sometimes. I commend you for doing so and we are here for you! ❤️

I'm so very sorry that someone treated you this way and that now you have go through this. It's okay to go through the grief process. You were interacting with this person and for quite a long time. Who wouldn't be sad? Who wouldn't be devastated? Just because there wasn't a certain "label" put on the interactions, the relationship....no matter what type of "ship" that it was, doesn't mean that you didn't have feelings and you showed up for this person. 

It sounds as if this person put you through a lot. It sounds as if you were trying to be kind and to "go along to get along" in the hopes that things would eventually get better. Clearly they did not, you finally found courage, you found your voice and you expressed yourself. Once again, a big round of applause for you my friend! (as well as great big *hugs* ❤️ ).

Some people do mistake kindness for weakness. Some think that they will get away with what it is that they are doing without the realization that everyone truly does have their limits and it sounds as if you found yours.

Many times when people behave this way, once they are confronted, realize that they have been "found out" and are being seen for the person that they truly are.....what they have been all along...of course they blame shift, put the blame on others. They can see that kind person as no longer a viable target, someone that they can no longer abuse and for them, it's time to move along to another and so they block. Their (not) lovely "parting gift" is to call someone else horrible names, cast the blame onto the recipient of the abuse as their ego cannot handle the fact that they are in the wrong. Gee, how convenient to victim blame. Truly is adding insult to injury.

Abusers like this do not want to answer for their behavior as it's quite enjoyable for them. On to the next. It's in an effort to hunt down another source of supply/fuel as abusers cannot abuse with out someone to do it to. 

Again, I am so very sorry this was done to you. You have a right to your feelings and you have the right to go through the grief process and I think someone mentioned above the great phrase "death of a dream" as it seems quite fitting in this instance.💡

We care about you! You are not alone! ❤️

As an aside, I would not be surprised if at one point in time, you were eventually "unblocked" with them making a direct path to you in an effort to "chat you up" once again. This part of the pattern of behavior can be referred to as "hoovering" as just like the hoover vacuum cleaner, they come back to pull more from you. Many times people like this enjoy keeping around multiple sources of supply, people to toy with, abuse, etc. as this feeds their ego. If another figures them out, they go back to old sources of supply. If that happens, it would certainly be up to you as to how you would like to handle it. I know how it is that I would address it however, I cannot provide advice here. 

If you would like, feel free to go to our browse listener page. You can even use the filters to search for a trained active listener that is highly knowledgeable about the grief process, trauma, relationship issues, abuse, etc. We have an entire community that cares about you and would love nothing more than to provide you with a safe and "soft spot" to land. 

Dreee, again, thank you for having the courage to reach out. I know it's hard and even with your forum post you'll be letting others know that they are not alone if they struggle with the very same thing. 

*high fives* 😊 and big *hugs* ❤️ my friend! 

akunknown August 20th

@Dreee

Hi there. If he doesn’t count that you told him everything you told him then I think it’s well known who the real coward is and it’s not you dear. You had the courage and bravery to post everything on here. Something I admire and thank you for sharing with us. 

To answer your question that makes up the title of this post, I cope with the heartbreak of a relationship that never happened but telling and reminding myself of the following:

1. It’s their loss bc they’re the ones who are gonna be missing out and in fact they already missed out since they didn’t allow themselves the opportunity to try something out with someone and see what happens, where/how far it goes, what the potential is if there is any, etc. 

2. There’s so many people that there’s no shortage of them. I’ll always end up seeing someone else who maybe even better than the one/ones who said no. 

If you can tell and keep reminding yourself of these same things I believe that like me you’ll be just fine and the heartbreak will eventually fade away.