Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to Welcome New Users on 7 Cups!

Heather225 February 22nd

(If the text below doesn't display properly, refer to this doc instead.)

Hi everyone,

7 Cups thrives on being a supportive and welcoming community for people from all walks of life. It's especially important that we extend that warmth to our newest members who might be feeling unsure or vulnerable, and our listeners just embarking on their learning journey.

Why Supporting New Users Matters:

• First impressions count: A warm welcome can make a big difference in whether someone feels comfortable staying and engaging in the community.

• They might be going through a tough time: Many new users come to us seeking support for challenges or struggles. Making them feel welcome shows they're not alone.

• It strengthens the community as a whole: By fostering a welcoming environment, we attract more diverse perspectives and create a richer platform for everyone.

You may come across forum posts from users introducing themselves (ex. official welcome Member Welcome Thread and Listener Welcome Thread) and want to acknowledge them. Read on!

How We Can Welcome Newbies:

• Say hello! Respond to their introductory posts, introduce yourself, and ask them a friendly question.

• Offer encouragement: Share words of kindness and let them know they're in the right place.

• Emphasize resources: Help them navigate the forum by pointing them to relevant discussions, guides, or information they might find helpful.

• Be patient and understanding: Remember, they might be new to online communities or hesitant to share. Avoid rushing them or using jargon they might not understand.

• Be respectful and inclusive: Welcome everyone with open arms, regardless of their background or experiences.

Member resources to share!

Welcome Pack - Everything you need to know to start
★ To find the next available listener, enter the General Request queue found on the right-hand side of this page https://www.7cups.com/chat/ under Chat live with a listener
★ To search for a listener visit: https://www.7cups.com/BrowseListeners/
★ You can explore the community forums here: https://www.7cups.com/community/

Listener resources to share!

Welcome Pack - all the basics to get acclimated to the site
New Listener Links - easily accessible catalogue of our most commonly requested links

Remember, we were all new once! Let's pay it forward whenever we can.

Have you welcomed anyone lately? Tag them in, if you'd like, so we can all send them warm wishes!
Heather225 OP February 22nd
If you have welcoming tips of your own, please drop them below to help us as a community to expand our welcoming reach!
Sunisshiningandsoareyou February 22nd

@Heather225

This is amazing, H, I think all of us here can remember what it feels like to be a newbie and how much that couple of few "hey, happy to have you here" or "hey, im here for you" or a "hey, it's nice you joined us and I'm only a message away if you need anything" or the simplest most "hey, how are you doing today?" could positively impact someone's first-time experience here.

They say first impression is the the last impression and it's very true, in many many cases. (Of course it's a two way street, so a little patience and taking time to explore around the platform while being new is what might actually help one more as well)

I enjoy sending across welcome messages via forumland and replying to people who make their introduction/ hiya I'm new here posts hehe, it's a great way of getting to meet people here and help them find their route around here, even a little helps, riiighttt?!

My messages are rather simple, asking how they are, what brings them here, how they are liking it here so far, experience so far, if they need any assistance with exploring/ finding something etc. But the welcome packs definitely come handy, as well the primer for listeners! 

For listeners, I like sharing the listener coach request form as well, so they know they can hold hands with someone as they explore the community better and learn the ropes of being an active listener here from the very beginning.

Form here: http://bit.ly/7CupsLC, if anyone requires too!

Having said all that xD never lose an opportunity to say hello so I'm waving at everyone coming across this. I'm glad we share this community space.🥰

welcome.gif

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

thank you so much for adding resources and even more value to this post! i always know i can count on you 💗

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

i also really appreciate that you treat welcomes like a conversation because that's the ideal approach in a community like ours and it also aids in building trust.

@Heather225

Aw yes indeed, H and oof how kind, thank youu so much for being as considerate and uplifting always, you're a gem!💗

Suryansh February 22nd

@Heather225

Hey H! Thank you for making this very informative post. Indeed, welcoming warmly our new users is very important for a variety of different reasons, one of which is that it makes them feel more comfortable because it's not easy for many of us to begin a journey with a community full of strangers.

I loved the short introductory messages for new members and new listeners. Sharing the primer and welcoming pack can be incredibly helpful to the newbies, giving them a good enough idea of different parts, functions and teams of 7 Cups! Thank you again for this wonderful post! 💜

purpleSea7109 February 23rd

Hi welcome to 7 cupsof tea. We all here to help all. We all friends here and like to make sure everyone is happy and supported.x

Click my name.

Welcome all and enjoy your support. X