Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Greeting's fellow 7-cuppers! 🍵

ditdotdan January 17th, 2018

Hello everyone. It's is nice to meet you. My name is Dan, I'm 22 years old and from a small town near Cambridge, England.

I've had depression since I left school at the age of 16 - the age you used to be able to leave school in the UK; this severely impacted my further education. On top of this, I have always had anxiety and have generally been a nervous and timid person. But two years ago, my long term girlfriend/best friend decided that she couldn't handle the pressure that my mental health was placing on our relationship and so she left me. In that single event, my world crashing down was simultaneously the most traumatic, but important, event of my life so far.

But after some spent months living as a hermit, I became sick of the direction of my life and decided to seek out some help in making a change. I met a lady who supported me and became a volunteer with her in my local council; I started working with young people in my town - supporting them in growing their skills, self esteem and confidence. I lost weight, I opened up the opportunity for my first job and my confidence has grown tremendously. Despite still sorely missing my ex-girlfriend and my continued depressive and anxious moments, the future hasn't looked brighter. Whilst I still fight my problems, and may do so for the rest of my life, I am living proof that things can get better.

It is these positive moments that I want to use 7cups to be able to meet new people and to support those who may need help in their battles; I believe that nobody should be forced to fight alone.

Thank you for reading, and have a pleasant day/afternoon/evening.

Erato January 19th, 2018

@ditdotdan This is so inspirational. Thank you for sharing your story! By the way, I'm Era. A 17 year old girl from Philippines, nice to meet you! laugh It's so great to hear that things have become better for you and it led you to a path that made yourself better. I know how hard it is to be depressed and anxious but I'm glad you don't let these feelings hinder you to grow and try out new things.