Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is the language rule?

CatHanderOutNoah March 14th

Greetings, fellow members of the 7 Cups Of Tea community! My name is Noah, and I proudly serve as a Community Leader (Room Support, and Forum Support), offering support and guidance in our shared space.

Recently, I've noticed an increase in discussions surrounding 7 cups language policy and its implementation. As a Room Supporter, I aim to clarify and ensure that everyone is on the same page regarding this important aspect of 7 cups community guidelines. However, please keep in mind that while I strive for accuracy, it's always advisable to consult with an active community moderator or leader for any questions pertaining to our rules or other 7 Cups-related matters.

One common question that arises is whether non-English languages are permitted on 7 Cups. The answer is yes, with certain caveats. If both you and the listener you're engaging with are comfortable communicating in a language other than English, you're welcome to switch to that language for your conversation. However, if the listener does not support the language you prefer, it's best to refrain from using it to avoid any miscommunication and further conflict. It's important to note that all group rooms, including TCR, MCR, SR, RAINBOW, etc., maintain an English-only policy.

Now, let's address what exactly constitutes a non-English message that may need to be deleted. Simple typos or occasional slips into another language are generally not considered violations of 7 cups language policy. Additionally, certain common greetings such as "hola" or "bonjour" may be permissible, as they are often understood and accepted in various cultural contexts.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and remember, contact a active community moderator or leader on the topic if you have questions.

Warm regards,
Noah

@CatHanderOutNoah

Thanks for the explanation and reminder, Noah!💛

And yes indeed, when in doubt, one can always reach out to the community moderators on shift as well.

There's a forum version of this guideline too: https://www.7cups.com/forum/7cupsleadership/SafetyGuidelines_1374/ExpandedForumGuidelines2SpeakingEnglish_316649/

AffyAvo March 14th

Great Post!

Just a few little additions:

Using English is a guidelines for the forums too. Checking out the link Sun gave is useful for details as we do allow some amount of non-English to be used as well alongside English.

For 1-1s - if a member is selecting a listener looking at their profile shows they languages they speak. If a member sends out a general request for a listener to choose to take the chat, the language is listed. Listeners should only take chats if they are comfortable with the language, although there are sometimes mistakes (and also site glitches). Members can change this language in their settings.