Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Triggers

Hadallmyshots February 11th, 2022

Have you ever watched a movie or tv show that triggered your anxiety or depression? Where you have to remind yourself what you are seeing does not involve or affect you?

catstronaut99 February 11th, 2022

Yes. Allll the time. In fact this happens with a lot of my favorite shows, especially Handmaid’s Tale. Unfortunately, I had to stop watching some of my favorite shows because I couldn’t distance/separate myself. But better to not watch if it’s only going to upset and trigger me.

Hadallmyshots OP February 11th, 2022

@catstronaut99 thank you for that...and yeah sometimes i feel drawn into what im seeing like im part of it...

catstronaut99 February 11th, 2022

I get sucked in and feel like I am part of it too. I’ll become outraged at injustices, triggered by traumatic events. I feel as though I am going through it all with them. I think we may just be very empathetic! But we also have to protect ourselves from unnecessary upsets. I wish I could watch tv like other people and just go “nah. It’s not real”. But I think, but my emotions are! The themes they are explaining are real! What is happening to them happens to people in real life. I stick to Disney mostly now haha 😆 happy endings guaranteed!

Hadallmyshots OP February 13th, 2022

@catstronaut99 its like im no longer on the couch but im in the action now....

emotionalTalker2260 February 11th, 2022

@Hadallmyshots

I don’t watch many tv shows nor movies. But really violent movies can trigger me as i am not one for violence at all. Music with too much screeching and screaming and yelling in it can trigger my anxiety bad 😊

Hadallmyshots OP February 13th, 2022

@emotionalTalker2260 thank you for that....its nice to know im not alone...

emotionalTalker2260 February 13th, 2022

@Hadallmyshots

nice to know I’m not the only one either 😀

Hadallmyshots OP February 23rd, 2022

@emotionalTalker2260 here to help

emotionalTalker2260 February 23rd, 2022

@Hadallmyshots

😊 thanks

fantasticSeal6254 February 13th, 2022

Any sexual violence can trigger me.

Hadallmyshots OP February 23rd, 2022

@fantasticSeal6254 im sorry i totally understand....