Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

One in Five : My Story

overcominglfe21 October 1st, 2016

Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient.

One in five women are sexually assaulted while in college...

August 19, 2016, I started my first year of college as an Early Childhood Education major. I was optimistic about my future in college, I was excited about the new people I would meet and all the new friends I would I make. I was a happy "normal" teenager who thought she knew exactly what her future would look like. I never thought I would be sexually assaulted.

I was not abducted by some masked man and dragged in the shadows nor was drugged or intoxicated. I was awake and fully conscious of what was happening to me in those very moments. Despite being awake I felt as if I was frozen; unable to move or even speak. Silence is never consent but I guess he didn't know that or he didn't care. He used this to his advantage because he assaulted me not once but three times within 2 weeks.

Remembering the feel of his hands running the full length of my body and the smirk on his face as he touched me. The feelings of worthlessness and betrayal pouring through my thoughts. I thought things like this only happened on Law and Order but it was happening to me and happened more than once. I blamed myself for letting this happen and putting myself in that situation more than once.

I never expected that this would impact my life the way that it did. I will overcome this even though it is hard right now. Soon the nightmares will stop, the crying will stop, and my happiness will return.

But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength. 2 Timothy 4:17

annapaviacounselor October 1st, 2016

@overcominglfe21

Hi I've just read your story, thank you for sharing it, I just want to say that I feel so sorry for what you have been trough and hope you can move forward even if it is hard. You are a special and beautiful person do not forget this

overcominglfe21 OP October 2nd, 2016

@annapaviacounselor

Thank you so much. It was truly hard to write but I couldn't keep these feelings inside me anymore.

annapaviacounselor October 3rd, 2016

@overcominglfe21

I hope it can help you in the healing process. With love

cyanPlatypus6370 October 4th, 2016

@overcominglfe21 ... Thank you for sharing this. I can imagine it was very difficult to write. And thanks for the 2 Tim 4:17 too. I'd like to try to remember that one. ~ Platy

overcominglfe21 OP October 5th, 2016

@cyanPlatypus6370 It was extremely difficult to write and think about but I had to get it off of my chest. Nobody truly knows how I feel about this situation.You're welcome. It is my one of my favorites.