Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Connection Between Social Anxiety and PTSD

InvaderStitch March 18th, 2023

Today I was sitting at work DREADING making a phone call I needed to make and it just made me realize how much my social anxiety really paralyzes me. It also made me curious about how often Social Anxiety and PTSD are related to one another.

The Connection
According the the article I found on psych central only about 3.2-16% of individuals with social anxiety have a PTSD diagnosis, however almost half of people diagnosed with PTSD also have social anxiety disorder. This suggests that for SOME people, social anxiety may be related to social trauma.

While there is debate over whether or not social trauma meets the criteria for PTSD, it does seem to create some of the same symptoms such as flashbacks, avoidance, distorted thoughts, or changes in reactivity. If you’re experiencing these symptoms because of a social trauma, your experience is completely valid (and not uncommon).

Social anxiety presents itself in an individual when they experience a large amount of stress in social situations including a fear of being judged or humiliated. It can also be accompanied by physical symptoms such as a racing heart, interfere with ability to speak or interact with others, it may also make going to work or school feel impossible. Sometimes social anxiety feels pretty debilitating.

Having social anxiety makes you more prone to experiencing social trauma and developing PTSD symptoms related to the trauma because of increased sensitivity and stress in social situations. A study in 2020 that looked at the prevalence of PTSD in individuals with Social Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and a control group without a diagnosis of Social Anxiety or OCD. What they found is that ⅓ of individuals with social anxiety experienced had PTSD whereas the prevalence of PTSD in the control group and OCD group was not significant. This research suggests a correlation between Social Anxiety and some sort of trauma.

Treatments
The good news is that there are professional treatments that can help you manage social anxiety disorder and PTSD. The article recommends

• Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)

• Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)

• Prolonged Exposure (PE)

• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

• Internal Family Systems (IFS)

Some treatments that have been shown effective for social anxiety, but not specifcially trauma include:
  • Interpersonal Therapy

• Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)

• Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

• Psychodynamic Therapy

There are also some classes of medications that help with social anxiety that you can talk to a healthcare professsional about if therapy alone isn’t helping.

Tips to try on your own

Some tips for in the moment that help with both PTSD and social anxiety are:

• Name the feeling: If you’re able to name what your experiencing and recognize it as a response to a trigger, the feelings tend to pass more quickly.

• Breathe: Focusing on your breathing and slowing down and deepening your breaths is a proven way to calm the nervous system which will reduce the symptoms you are experiencing in the moment.

• Connecting to your surroundings: shifting our attention to your senses can help you get out of your head and have a calming effect. If you’re paying attention to your senses it’s a lot harder to pay attention to your thoughts.

• Distraction: Some people use humor to distract from the discomfort. Other ideas include calming music or simple activities that take your mind of the anxious feelings.

Discussion Questions

What are your thoughts on Social Anxiety and PTSD?

Does Social Anxiety interfere with important aspects of your life?

What is your experience with social anxiety? Do you think your social anxiety and PTSD are interconnected?

What are some tips you have that might help those of us struggling with social anxiety manage our symptoms?

Any other thoughts about the information?

butterlycow March 19th, 2023

@InvaderStitch

What are your thoughts on Social Anxiety and PTSD?

excessive fear of others necessarily comes from trauma, so I think social anxiety is the consequence of any PTSD where the trauma is caused by humans

of course, on my social life. it's very difficult. and that has the consequence of affecting my health and my general well-being

What is your experience with social anxiety? Do you think your social anxiety and PTSD are interconnected?

yes I was diagnosed by lousy professionals with social anxiety for years and PTSD more recently. the major difference that I see between those who gave me these diagnoses and that the first ones did not try to dig into what the reasons are and just stopped at surface observations without trying to help me, and the reverse for the second

What are some tips you have that might help those of us struggling with social anxiety manage our symptoms?

therapy of course, and to really identify the helping resources available around us: people, thoughts, places, activities and to prioritize them as much as possible

Any other thoughts about the information?

I think that PTSD diagnoses will only continue to increase, and we will hear less about social anxiety, now that mental health is progressing in all levels of society it is possible to dig deeper. growing up I heard a lot that social anxiety was being scared for nothing and I think people are starting to understand that there are always causes for disorders (even when you don't know them) and nothing magically appears

lovingRainbows2088 February 28th

@InvaderStitch

what are your thoughts on social anxiety and ptsd?

Social anxiety disorder and PTSD are significant mental health challenges that can greatly impact individuals' lives. Social anxiety involves an intense fear of social situations, while PTSD stems from exposure to traumatic events. Both conditions can severely affect daily functioning and well-being, requiring professional support and understanding to manage effectively.

Yes, social anxiety can interfere with important aspects of life such as work, relationships, and personal fulfillment. It may hinder social interactions, limit career opportunities that involve public speaking or networking, and strain interpersonal relationships due to avoidance behaviors. Seeking professional help can assist in managing and overcoming these challenges.

For me I dont have PTSD but I do struggle with social anxiety when talking to people that I don't know or in front of a large group and I normally freeze up when talking to others who I don't know yet. It's possible for someone with PTSD to develop social anxiety as a result of their traumatic experiences, as the fear of being judged or scrutinized may be heightened due to their past trauma. However, not everyone with social anxiety has experienced trauma, so the connection may vary from person to person.

Managing social anxiety involves a combination of self-help strategies and professional support. Gradual exposure to social situations, practicing relaxation techniques, and challenging negative thoughts can be helpful. Seeking therapy, particularly cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), can provide structured guidance in overcoming social anxiety. Building a supportive social network and setting realistic goals for social interactions are also essential steps in managing symptoms. Remember, seeking help is a sign of strength, and there are effective treatments available for social anxiety.

Any other thoughts about the information on social anxiety and ptsd? 

It's crucial to recognize that both social anxiety disorder and PTSD are complex conditions with varying manifestations and triggers. Acknowledging the impact on individuals' lives and promoting empathy is essential. Additionally, understanding that seeking professional help is a proactive and constructive step toward managing and overcoming these challenges can contribute to destigmatizing mental health issues. Continued research and awareness are key in improving the understanding and treatment of social anxiety and PTSD.