Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

flashbacks, anxiety and PTSDness... HELP

Catshee February 17th, 2015

i have daily panic attacks and flashbacks of an overdose that happened in 2008. i have a hard time taking my medications because of this. i need some relaxation tecniques i think. if you have any, please share. thank you -Cassy

oiseau February 17th, 2015

I hear you have much anxiety because of the traumatic event you have experienced. Anxiety and flashbacks are very horrible and I am really sorry you have to deal with them.

Anxiety is normal and essential to advise you when you are in danger. Here it becomes a problem because PTSD can include scary symptoms such as nightmares, flashbacks or dissociation (feeling like if you live again the event), like those you are mentioning here.

Dealing with flashbacks is a real challenge. In fact, this is only an attempt by the brain to integrate the traumatic event. As long as this remains to be done, flashbacks can severely disrupt the lives of those affected. There are different types of therapies that can help. Generally, we consider cognitive-behavioral therapy and group therapy as being most beneficial. If you take this option, you have to find a therapist specialized in your particular type of trauma. TheEMDR(eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) also give very good results with the PTSD and flashbacks.

You ask for relaxation methods. I will give you some ideasthatusually help with flashbacks and panic attacks. Because everybody is different, I can't promise they will work on you,but I will share them with you.

The first is to focus your mind on something else and prevent the flashbacks, I could say that focus on something else can help. Like it is impossible to focus on two things at the time, it could keep your mind away from the elements that cause the panic. Find 3 things, for every of your senses. for example, name three objects that you see now, and then three textures you are in contact with... etc. You have to practice it often, and not only when you are experiencing a panic attack.

The second is to deal with the anxiety...We can talking about slowing down your breathing. If you make an anxiety attack, there is a good chance that you will start to hyperventilate what increase the anxiety and that is a vicious circle. Here is how you can practice it by trying to take a maximum of 8 breaths per minute: Take 4 seconds to inspire, hold your breath for 4 seconds and then take another 4 seconds to expire. Again here, for it to be effective, you should have to practice it when you are already calm, at least 2 time per day, during 5 min every time.

Here is an other way you can try: Train yourself to progressive muscle relaxation. This is to be aware of your body and stretch and release each muscle group. This has two purposes: to force you to focus on something other, like I already said, and torelaxeyour muscles.

I hope they can help you. If you have trouble with them, or ifit is not enough, or if you need to speak about it,oryou need helpto getyour attention focused on other things, you can connect with a listener on the chat anytime.