Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Lost

Peppery94 September 15th, 2022

I've been struggling with my PTSD after being shot 2 years ago. I want to make friends but trust no one because I feel like they are going to shoot me. It's like this irrational thought of no one liking me. Counseling has been helping but I still can't make friends. I feel so down. Any advice on how to make friends after PTSD

innateJoy9602 September 16th, 2022

@Peppery94

Hello,

That must be very challenging to try to overcome.

I’m sorry you had to have that experience of being hurt like that.

It’s great that counseling has been helping you.

It takes time to heal and implement what we learn in counseling.

I hope you are able to make friends soon, in the meantime know we are also here for you<3💛💫

Journey144 September 17th, 2022

Hi @Peppery94. 👋🏼 Losing trust in people we've connected to is such a challenging situation. I'm sincerely sorry about your experience and the low feelings you presently have about making friends. However, I'm happy to hear that counseling has helped you progress along the journey! I agree with our friend here: give it some time.

Your violent encounter and loss of trust is recent/fresh. It will take some time for those thoughts to be managed and healing to progress further. During my process of healing after a shot to my back by an older partner, I had to build trust and walk through each thought consistently (with each person I became close to, especially if disagreements occurred). I felt very uneasy with simple disagreement with close friendship. It truly takes time. ❤ And your goal of developing (and keeping) meaningful friendships will happen. Time is key.

Were glad you're here with us. I hope that you'll find this community as a safe place to talk, connect, and gain resources. You are not alone. We are here for you, indeed. Stay well, friend! 💞

sailorjenna September 18th, 2022

@Peppery94 Hello, Peppery. I completely understand how you feel, PTSD is such a horrible thing to go through. Especially when the incident happened recently, it can still be traumatizing and damaging to a person's overall well-being. I've too once went through not trusting anybody anymore after an incident I had, you are not alone and the feelings you feel are valid. You are cared for, supported, and loved by all in 7cups. The feeling of not being able to trust anyone anymore, the fear of being around people, and the need of having friends can all make an emotional response to feeling lost or empty, just know that there are others around you in a similar situation and that yours is just as important. No matter how much time it takes, slowly start to recover by getting the support you need by counseling. What other things help you cope? Any hobbies or maybe things you enjoy doing when you are alone? Reach out to me whenever you can and just know that we are all here to support you! ❤️