Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I can't escape my parents, even when I'm an ocean away.

DreamsofAuratus August 30th

Trigger warning: abuse (controlling behaviour)

I'm struggling a lot with flashbacks recently. It's been hard.

I was triggered earlier today. I'm calmer now, but I'm still extremely stressed and scared. I've been journalling and posting on the forum in an attempt to relax and process my feelings, but while the panic is subdued, my mind is still stuck in the past.

Those who have flashbacks will know this feeling well: You know you're safe, but you're still getting hurt again and again. You know it's over, but you're still reliving it again and again.

I've been abused my entire life. I still am. I struggle with my feelings of guilt and self-blame. I constantly ask myself why I'm still in contact with my parents if every conversation with them ends in pain. I blame myself for not twisting out of their grasp, even though I'm an ocean away from them. And I know, when they die, they'll still have a hold on me.

I ran away from home once. I planned to sleep at my school with the cats, because school was a safer place than home was. Yet, at school, I was also being abused. Teachers did not help me, because they were also hurting me.

I grew up having nobody but my family to rely on. Now that I have truly kind friends who care about me, I can also rely on them. But I don't, because I was raised to believe I couldn't trust anyone else.

Do you know what the most cruel thing my mother said to me was? It isn't "I hate you." It isn't "It's your fault." It isn't even "I regret giving birth to you."

It's "I love you." Not because it's a lie, but because it's the truth.

Knowing that my parents loved me, even though they abused me in every way possible, is one of the most painful and lonely feelings in the world, because it convinces me that it's the best sort of love I'll ever get.

My partner is so kind and patient with me. He respects me and cares about what I actually want. Yet I still crawl to my parents for comfort β€” a tiny scrap of validation, or a little bit of reassurance, anything...

I was still a child when they started telling me that I couldn't trust other people, that they were the only ones that cared about me and would never leave me. Hearing that every time I brought up making friends, or talked about going to my siblings for help, or finding any source of support that wasn't them...

I don't understand it.

I lived with them until I was 24. I still don't know why they let me move out. These people have talked about chaining me to their bed or installing cameras in the house to monitor me. They have punished me for using the toilet without telling them and reversed the lock on my room so they could lock me in whenever they pleased. They controlled every aspect of my life down to what clothes I wore β€” and suddenly, they're letting me move across the Atlantic?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm misrepresenting them. I tell myself, "Everything they do is out of love. I shouldn't complain about them. They did nothing wrong."

But even if that's true, it hurts. It hurts so much. I want to be free from them, but I can't get away from them, even when they're nowhere near me. I could block them right now. I could uninstall the tracker on my phone. I could tell everyone I know to keep my life private. But I can't.

Why can't I do it?

Why? Why? Why?

QuietMagic September 2nd

@DreamsofAuratus

Hi, sorry that things have been so challenging. 😒 That definitely feels confusing to be able to look at all of the horribly controlling/abusive behavior from your parents but still feel like you're not able to disconnect from them. (And also that sounds scary/isolating what you mentioned of your mom saying that she loved you and feeling like, "Oh my god, this horrible experience is the only love I'll ever be able to get and deserve.")

"I grew up having nobody but my family to rely on. Now that I have truly kind friends who care about me, I can also rely on them. But I don't, because I was raised to believe I couldn't trust anyone else."

That feels like it makes sense. If for most of your life, the only people you've been able to depend on is your parents (as unsafe as they were), maybe breaking away from them would feel even less safe. Like wandering completely alone and not being capable of handling things by yourself. Or the control and refusal to let you be with other people felt like it had this message of "they care about me being safe" or "they're so attached to me because they want/need me". And it's kind of alien now to live in a world with people who aren't being aggressively controlling and have a completely different understanding of what love/affection are.

"Yet I still crawl to my parents for comfort β€” a tiny scrap of validation, or a little bit of reassurance, anything..."

I was trying to understand this and did some digging and one concept that came up was trauma bonding.

https://www.sandstonecare.com/blog/trauma-bonding/

"A trauma bond is a strong emotional attachment that forms between a person and someone who abuses or mistreats them. This bond happens because the person being hurt feels confused, scared, and dependent on the abuser, making it hard for them to leave the harmful relationship."

"Trauma bonding is present in abusive relationships that follow a cycle of abuse and positive reinforcement. A person may be emotionally abusive and then say things like β€œI am going to change” or β€œI did it because I love you,” and shower their partner with affection and grand gestures, only for the abuse to happen again."

"People involved in trauma bonds usually have hopes that it will be better in the end and that the person will change, but this is rarely the case."

That thing about positive reinforcement made sense to me. There's something positive that your parents provided that you really needed, they were able to convince you that only they could provide it (and possibly that was true for some time because they manipulated things to make it impossible to connect with anybody else), and that positive thing is what you feel like you'd be giving up by separating from them.

Maybe if you're able to connect with what that positive thing is that your parents provided that led to feeling some kind of love/support from them (intermingled with the feelings of being unsafe/scared), the present feeling of "I can't disconnect from them" will feel less confusing and guilt-ridden ("I should be able to disconnect--this is stupid, I'm stupid, they were awful").

[Lots of assumptions/guessing on my side, so do tell me I'm wrong if anything is wrong. πŸ™]

DreamsofAuratus OP September 3rd

@QuietMagic

Hello. Thank you for your response.

β€”β€”β€”β€”

"And it's kind of alien now to live in a world with people who aren't being aggressively controlling and have a completely different understanding of what love/affection are."

β€”β€”β€”β€”

Indeed, I realised this a while ago that the reason why I always doubt that my friends and partner truly love me is because they don't do anything my parents have done. I am accustomed to being used and deprived. When they put me in a position of power and respect, I don't know what to do with it. It's stressful and I would much rather let them make the decisions, despite usually causing more stress in the long run...

β€”β€”β€”β€”

"Maybe if you're able to connect with what that positive thing is that your parents provided that led to feeling some kind of love/support from them (intermingled with the feelings of being unsafe/scared), the present feeling of "I can't disconnect from them" will feel less confusing and guilt-ridden ("I should be able to disconnect--this is stupid, I'm stupid, they were awful")."

β€”β€”β€”β€”

I believe this is true. I try very hard to understand myself, but things just don't make sense to me. My parents aren't all bad; they can be very sweet and I enjoy spending time with them, but at the same time, I can see myself breaking down in the presence.

They flew over for my wedding and now I can't even remember my wedding day. It crushes me.