Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with past trauma while in parent's house

helpfulNorth July 23rd, 2022

I'm having a hard time to stay present. Everytime I need to do something in my house I start dissociating.

I'm living in my parents house since 2019 when I had a severe episode of depression. The problem is that I still don't have financial stability to leave my parents house again. I was raised in an abusive home, and although my father isn't diagnosed, he behaves similarly to a narcissistic person. The more I look to it, more sure I am that I was raised by a narcissist.

I know that I should be grateful that they let be here with them, mostly my mom is my support, despite how difficult it is to live with my dad. But I can't help having an anxiety crisis when I'm doing anything here. Right now I should be cleaning the house, but my mind start reliving memories till I need to stop, I'm shaking, crying, I just want to be functional, but it's like if my brain don't feel safe. I don't know how to improve it.

Helgafy July 24th, 2022

@helpfulNorth

I wish you could find a therapist to talk to.

helpfulNorth OP July 24th, 2022

Thank you. I wish that to.

HereForYou789 July 24th, 2022

@helpfulNorth

That seems so hard for you, I am so sorry. If you would like to talk more about this, message me privately :)

MoonLightXAngel July 24th, 2022

@helpfulNorth That is pretty much why Im here. My past trauma of abandonment and abuse issues I feel is taking it's toll on some of my friendships. I hope you too find some relief.