Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Psychologist dismissing DMV diagnosis

Chicuno August 13th, 2018

This happened a few years ago in meeting with a psychologist. Somewhere during the session, he blatantly stated he didnt believe in DID and also did not believe in giving his patients a PTSD diagnosis. He elaborated but there is no recollection of the rest of it. After testing, he expressed I most likely had PTSD, but he labeled it something else (recently stumbled across an old copy).

Everyone has their opinions but there are some things in a professional setting that arent appropriate and shouldnt be said. Also-did not even ask him about his views on either conditions.

How would you have responded in a situation like that and how do you bring yourself to trust a psychologist who is clearly biased?

wittySpruce8187 August 13th, 2018

@Chicuno

Wow that's awful I'm so sorry that happened to you

I can relate in a lot of ways to drs and therapists just not believing in what you clearly have

Idk how to respond other than I just ignored them

Chicuno OP August 14th, 2018

@wittySpruce8187 Sorry to hear that happened to you and wish that you dont have bad experiences like those again.

Looking back at the situation, I probably should have said something to potentially stop that from affecting someone else. At least I realize it now and hopefully will speak up in the future.