Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do I know if I experienced a traumatic event?

diplomaticBunny3743 July 4th, 2019

Hi.

So Im really not sure if what happened to me qualifies as trauma. Its much more minor than other things I ve heard about. I had a medical procedure done when I was 9 where sedation was administered incorrectly. I was supposed to become paralyzed and lose memory of the surgery but I was given an inadequate amount of the memory loss drug. I felt myself becoming paralyzed and I was unable to communicate to those around me. I was terrified and hallucinating strange things. I was finally put to sleep by someone who came from somewhere I couldnt see and injected me. Years later I still remember and dream about the event. I now have to have a minor surgery that has brought all this anxiety up again. I feel helpless and I dont think I can go through with it. I cant just get over it. Whats wrong with me? Did I experience trauma? How do I move past the experience?

Kate July 5th, 2019

@diplomaticBunny3743 Hi Bunny! Trauma looks differently for everyone and it's certainly valid and understandable that a scary experience like that could cause trauma and anxiety, especially as you're looking ahead to another procedure. When do you have to have it? Maybe others in the community can share some tips for getting through it this time.