Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Head injury

KyleB23 November 20th, 2019

I had a head injury and have epilepsy and mental health issues because of it. The problem I have is that it is a invisible disability.

Things have got better in the years since, but still lost direction in life.

Anyone the same?

ZeppelinsOverhead November 21st, 2019

@KyleB23 I don't have a head injury, but I know exactly what you mean by 'invisible disability.' How does your trauma's invisibility affect your life?

KyleB23 OP November 23rd, 2019

@ZeppelinsOverhead

As my anxiety issues, lack of confidence and epilepsy are invisible to others, I seem fully functioning in public. This can be very hard some times as I am not fully functional from a mental point of view.

As my disability can not be seen there is no obvious indicator that I have these issues. This can sometimes cause me to avoid things I should be doing, but I feel I cant do it because I may have a panic attack or get confused.

@ZeppelinsOverhead

Avoidance can be a strategy for some situations, (eg ordering home delivery instead of gong out to dinner or watching a DVD instead of going to the movies) but in reality not everything can be dumped in the ‘too hard basket. I often ask my wife to come with me when I am apprehensive about something I need to do. This can put a lot of pressure on her and it also affects my confidence in dealing with things.

@ZeppelinsOverhead

May I ask what your invisible disability is and how it affects you?

Do you use strategies you have developed to deal with this? Can you share them?