Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Grandpa

BlockedOrRemoved0 November 7th, 2016

Everything went to hell when my grandma died of brain cancer. My grandpa started drinking...a lot. And he didn't realize it at all.
The saddest moments of my childhood were those when he gets drunk so much that he attacks me and my parents with a knife. We were close, I loved him. But we both seemed to slowly forget that when he started drinking. There were times when he was like before. I was the happiest kid in the world then. But me, my mom and dad had to lock ourselves in one of the rooms and beg he wouldn't break the door. I was between 5, 6 years old so I didn't quite understand why he was like that. In fact I had no clue about madness and insanity, or grief. I simply thought that he was mad at me/us for something. That's when I started hating him. At some point I just wished for him to die and leave us in peace. Just wanted it to stop... A person I used to love so much, a family member, became a monster in my eyes.
I switched rooms some time ago. There is nothing wrong with it. The only thing about it is that it's one of the rooms he tried to get to to stab us the most. Each time I look at the door or the corner of the room, everything comes back. I need to sleep so that I can't see the door, or I start panicking and can't fall asleep for the life of me, for I have a feeling that he's going to come in, even though I was at his burial.

OwlishAthena November 12th, 2016

@BlockedOrRemoved0

Hello. It must be hard to live with that looming over your head, but you have my support in saying that I hope you sleep better soon.

It is easy to dwell on the bad memories instead of the good. We as humans do this all of the time. It is not your fault for feeling the way you do or remembering these bad memories.

You should try to remember the happy ones, even if they are few. You should talk to your parents and try to get to know your grandpa for who he was before his illness. He must have really loved your grandma.

I am not saying that what he did is justified, but I do think that you should try to remember him how I think he would like to be remembered. He wasn't in his best mind. I am sure that he loved you and your family dearly.

Try to think of your grandpa as the person that you want to remember rather than the one that you do remember. It will be difficult, but it will help you in the long run.

I hope what I said helps in some way. Just know that you are not alone.

Best wishes,

Owlish Athena