Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Childhood School lunches!

Desmynn6789 June 16th, 2022

Hi Everyone! Today’s post is going to be about school lunches. When we were young, are parents may have packed a lunch for us to take to school. Additionally, some of these lunches had a lot of fun things to eat like cookies or raisins. Other times, you may have had lunches that weren’t as fun to eat.

• What was the best childhood school lunch you have ever had?
  • What was the worst childhood school lunch you have ever had?

For me, the best childhood school lunch I have ever had was when mom packed me 2 chocolate chip cookies (1 for me and another to share with a friend), a banana and jelly sandwich, orange juice, and some sweet potato chips. The worst lunch I have ever had was when my mom didn’t have much food around so I had to eat cabbage with tomato sauce, and prune juice. It wasn’t the best lunch, but I was grateful she was even able to pack me a lunch. What about you?

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with school lunches 😊!

Desmynn6789 OP June 16th, 2022

Taglist:

@adventorousBranch3786 @allnaturalWillow7138 @ambitiousGlobe3422 @amiablePeace77 @BeamsOfHope00 @blissedNblessed @charmaeausty @dlynn88911221 @Desmynn6789 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @exuberantStrawberries9544 @FaithMagic @FracturedPurple @fruityPond7887 @Ghasaq997 @GoldenNest2727 @helgafy @imaginativepear6493 @Jordan1872 @LisaMeighanMBPsS @meaningfulSilence @MoonMomm @nessa104 @PinkTriangle133 @politeGrapefruit179 @Scarletpear1945 @ShapeshiftSystem @SilverSeastar @soulsings @SpongeBob2021 @stephbrent @SugareeIsMe091121 @toughLand5970 @warmheart0890 @waves @helgafy

Kpopcat2020 June 16th, 2022

@Desmynn6789

I have to say, the best school lunch I ever had was when my parents made some amazing lasagna and let me bring it for lunch the next day. I packed cookies, a juice box, and grapes with it. It was so good.

The worst was when we didn't have much food, so I made a bread-and-turkey-sandwich and some leftover cabbage and green beans from the previous night.

Fun question, thanks!!

AutumnGilt June 16th, 2022

My mother packed me a hot dog soaking in hot water in a thermos. She did that for a year because I "liked” them. I pointed out that I did the first few times but got very sick of them. She laughed and kept sending them. Am entire school year of warm soggy hot dog.

soulsings June 16th, 2022

@AutumnGilt that must have got old!

soulsings June 16th, 2022

We used to have to walk across a field to another school for hot lunches. I loved the corn chowder and apple crisp. The women who cooked the food all looked like my grandmother.

The worst meal I think was saltines crackers covered with cheese sauce.

cloudySummer June 25th, 2022

School wasn't long enough for us to need lunch, everyone went home to eat - at least until we were about 14 or so. And then we all went into town in the break to grab some french fries or similar stuff, once or twice a week.

Kids had snacks packed by their parents, though. Most kids had slices of bread with cheese or cold cuts, or maybe a fruit, and a juice. I usually had a cereal bar and a super sweet packed juice, and sometimes an apple or a tangerine. I can't remember anyone else than myself putting them into my schoolbag.

The best food someone else packed for me to take with me was apple slices cut into the shape of hearts, for my frightening and stressful night shifts, when I was much older.

stjarne June 25th, 2022

@Desmynn6789 i almost always had school lunches - some of my absolute favorites were uncrustables, orange chicken w/ rice & eggroll, spicy chicken sandwich or biscuits and gravy <3

sometimes we'd get mac & cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich, and i don't know how but the sandwich would always be stale, and the mac & cheese would have a plasticky, thick texture that i hated, lol

soulsings June 25th, 2022

@stjarne it sounds like you had Chinese food for lunch sometimes. That is really wonderful by me.

Bologna sandwiches and mac and cheese fall in to my bottom of the scale lunches. Ugh.