Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Religious Coping Mechanism

LoraSusans May 7th, 2022

I followed and loved the Abrahamic God as a coping mechanism because of my delusions that nobody loved me induced by the bullying. I am working on not to make it a coping mechanism anymore and truly love God. Is it normal to use God and religion as a coping mechanism?

soulsings May 7th, 2022

@LoraSusans I think we all have a need to have a relationship with some kind of eternal sense of being. Each religion has their own way of presenting it.

I think for me religion was an attempt to straighten out the confusion caused by the disparity between my need to have a spiritual purpose in life and a world that wants me to believe solely in their purpose. I think any religion that one has faith in can be of benefit, but it also helps to be open minded enough to accept other's religion or lack of it.

Since this is not a site that religion is usually discussed, if you want to discuss this in more specifics, feel free to send me a message www.7cups.com/@soulsings

Person94 May 15th, 2022

yes i totally think we do. i grew up in such a strict religious household that i am so mad at my parents for raising me like that that i am avoiding it now. it harmed me more than it helped me. i am 30 years old now and i am at a point where i refuse to pray now because i am sick of talking to someone who is invisible.

soulsings May 16th, 2022

@Person94 I think we all go through difficult things growing up, but I feel there is part of my being that needs to be aware of the vastness and mystery of life. Even the scientists keep finding they do not know definite things. So for this reason I stay open and practice mindfulness. It helps me not get hijacked by my emotions without any religious beliefs necessary.