Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Week 7: Goal Setting with Intent and Purpose

amiablePeace77 March 13th

Hello everybody 😊

The idea for this thread was created by Lisa Meighan, director of 7 Cups Online Therapy.

Let's talk about setting goals with intention. It is important you define your aspirations, break them into achievable steps, and celebrate each milestone. Day-by-day and step-by-step you are making progress!

There are several ways in which we can set goals but some of the most important lessons I have found working daily with goal setting is to make them achievable and to break them down into small steps. So for example, if you have a goal to finish a course by the end of the year, how can you break it down into weekly and monthly/termly goals? What do you need to do to successfully finish the course and how can you make the time to be able to achieve the goal? Simple things like putting a study planner in one place and plotting your time can be really helpful. 

• How does setting goals help you with staying motivated in life?
  • What meaningful goals are you working towards?

Share your goals and the strategies you're using to achieve them! 🌈

Kindly click here and fill out this short form to add or remove your names from the taglist Taglist

Taglist Updated 3/11/24

@4Jasmine @adventureawaits777 @adventorousBranch3786 @AlexMbale @allen99 @allnaturalWillow7138 @ambitiousGlobe3422 @ambitioushope1234 @amiablePeace77 @Ashy123 @augustine1304 @balderasdavid799 @BeamsOfHope00 @Beepyy @bestThinker1986 @BlackyDragon @blissedNblessed @bobw @bouncyFireworks3811 @candybubblegumsprinkles @CaringSub @Brittanny17 @calmcoral @CatHanderOutNoah  @charmaeausty @Coffeebean26 @courageousPomegranate766 @creativeCar5713 @crystalclearnow @CyclingThroughLife @dlynn88911221 @Desmynn6789 @dysfunctionjunction1224 @EllyMerelyn @emotionalPenguin4374 @empathicPresence9091 @endure777 @enthusiasticAcai2032 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @exuberantStrawberries9544 @FaithMagic @fearlessCup8704  @FleurdeNeige @FlowerEV777 @FracturedPurple @Fradiga @fruityPond7887 @Genlistener @geribear @Gettingbettertoday @Ghasaq997 @GlitteryHearts @GoldenNest2727 @gregariousField7151 @heartstopper13 @helpfulDime0407 @hopefaith2011 @iamwhoiamwhoami @imaginativepear6493 @ingeniousLove9924 @intuitivepixie1331 @Jordan1872 @k87 @KateDoskocilova @Kenn13chan @kindcircle3085 @kindRiver6 @Lauren63 @Leahm9703 @LisaMeighanMBPsS @lovelycoacoa @magneticDreamer6447 @meaningfulSilence @mia4819 @Mich765 @miresama @modestTangerine2193 @MoonMomm @Mscooper2789 @mytwistedsoul @nessa104 @NotAllHere713 @oa4me @Oceansky93 @OneErased @onkia122 @orangypie @paperBird3348 @patientwater @peacefulRainbow05 @PhilosophicalModel @PinkTriangle133 @politeGrapefruit179 @pompom @QueerChaos259 @rachelkb123 @Rainboho @Randumuser1 @Rebecca @redirecting @reguna @reservedPark4029 @Rod88 @RogueOne1983 @Scarletpear1945 @ShapeshiftSystem @SilverSeastar @slothgurl17 @soulsings @SparklyFly @sorrowedbunny1256 @SpongeBob2021 @stephbrent @SugareeIsMe091121 @SunShineAlwaysGrateful @tallWalker4850 @TannDee @ThadSterling @theroadisbright @thesoda @thoughtsbubbleexpress @ThoughtfulMomma @tifecandy @tinywhisper11 @tiredbubble00 @toughLand5970 @UniversalSmile @warmheart0890 @WentToBruv @waves @WorriedMagpie @WorkingitThrough2 @yzzil @zeffa @Zeraphim @Zsazsa524

soulsings March 14th

@amiablePeace77 thanks for posting this!

• How does setting goals help you with staying motivated in life? When I wake up in the morning I set an intention how to live my day. It is like making sure I have a full tank of gas and I start the car to get to my destination and I know where I want to get to and the route I plan to travel.  I also have routines that help me get to my long range goals and keep me on track. Without routines I end up sleeping late, laying in bed fantasizing about what I may cook for a meal, looking out the window. Routines are like staying on the highway instead of wandering back roads some of which are dead ends or go in the opposite direction. 
  • What meaningful goals are you working towards? I am trying to get a balance of getting enough sleep but not too much, practicing mindfulness to keep me from having negative emotions take over, keeping my body healthy with diet and exercise, and help others through volunteering here at 7 Cups. 
amiablePeace77 OP March 14th

@soulsings

Great goals and nice that your routines help you to stay on your path! I personally find routines very helpful too to structure the day and not get lost in ruminative thoughts. 

Tinywhisper11 March 14th

@amiablePeace77 if I set goals or make plans to do something, then something in my brain won't let me do it. I don't know why, perhaps then it becomes like a chore you really don't want to do. Luckily living in a carehome, I have no responsibilities, no family or friends, I don't leave the care home. Anyways I have no responsibilities, and I can't stick to goals, so I just cruise through life, living in the moment ❤❤ I'm very lucky ❤

@Tinywhisper11

We all have to find out what is best for us and the situation we are in. I'm glad you see the good in feel lucky!

Zeraphim March 14th

If I could set a goal, it might be to visit a local place I know which offers food and perhaps make some connections with the community there. Whether or not it's realistic, even after breaking down the steps into tiny pieces, is another story entirely.

@Zeraphim

Sounds like a good goal and I hope you find that place and meet others.

Gettingbettertoday March 14th

@amiablePeace77

• How does setting goals help you with staying motivated in life?

Nothing helps my motivation, this is why I have not accomplished a goal

• What meaningful goals are you working towards?

I am trying to meet new people to become friends with (Doctor's Orders)

@Gettingbettertoday

I hope coming here helps you to practise meeting new people. There is a discussion in the mindfulness room today at 5 pm edt. - a good opportunity to meet others. 

Gettingbettertoday March 15th

@amiablePeace77

My work closes at 5 and it takes about an hour to get home. 

soulsings March 16th

@Gettingbettertoday sorry we missed yoiu

Lonewolf360 March 15th

I guess my goal is trying to get unstuck from the situation I'm currently dealing with but I need to take baby steps in order to do it after exhausting all options to try and resolve it in a fast way?

amiablePeace77 OP March 15th

@Lonewolf360

Taking your time sounds good. It helps some people to talk their situation through with another person. Sometimes this show opportunities one didn't see before. 

Lonewolf360 March 15th

It's pretty difficult but I'm trying to make it work for the better at my own pace

amiablePeace77 OP March 15th

@Lonewolf360

Take your time and you will get where you want to get! I wish you all the best for your journey and remember we are always here for you if you want to chat.