Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

CLOSED to new Questions AMA Pride Month related to LBGTQIA+ 7 Cups Online Therapy

amiablePeace77 June 16th

Hi everyone!

Welcome to an AMA (ask me anything) in the "The Therapist's Office" with Dr. Joe Nelson, therapist of 7 Cups online therapy program. To learn more about them check out their profile. 

This is an AMA thread is closed to new questions as of 6-27-24.

The therapist’s answers to your questions will follow sometime within a week after the thread is started, in this case after the 27th of June 2024. To subscribe, so you can follow this thread and the therapist's answers, either post a question in this thread and/or hit the subscribe button in the upper right to get alerts when new posts are made to this thread.

We welcome your questions, but what type of questions should I ask? We welcome any questions that are related to LGBTQIA+ and experiences and challenges. You may also want to ask questions about therapy and coping skills for particular challenges you face.

Please avoid asking the therapist for specific advice like "should I date this guy after meeting him online?" You may ask the therapist for coping options with the particular mental health challenges you face and they can share suggestions that you may want to consider, but this is not an advice column. It is more like a place to learn about how online therapy at 7 Cups could help you deal with life and the many challenges it presents.

If you have any customer service-related questions please email support@7cups.com as they cannot be answered in this thread. Finally, please avoid questions about medication as these are best suited to be answered by your physician, and anything not normally discussed in 7 Cups forums.

If you have a question about this thread, please feel free to PM either one of us https://www.7cups.com/@amiablePeace77 or www.7cups.com/@soulsings

I am subscribed to this thread and eager to hear your questions and the therapist's answers.

More on Dr. Joe Nelson can be found here https://www.7cups.com/therapists/profiles/Joe-Nelson-DrJoeNelsonLCSW/

Members only can apply for 7 Cups Online therapy (a paid option) at this link http://www.7cups.com/online-therapy

amiablePeace77     soulsings

amiablePeace77 OP June 16th

Kindly click here and fill out this short form to add or remove your names from the taglist

Taglist Updated 6/10/24 @4Jasmine @adventureawaits777 @adventurousBranch3786 @AlexMbale @allen99 @allnaturalWillow7138 @alysianna @ambitiousGlobe3422 @ambitioushope1234 @amiablePeace77 @Ashy123 @augustine1304 @balderasdavid799 @BeamsOfHope00 @Beepyy @bence2  @bestThinker1986 @BlackyDragon @blissedNblessed @bobw @bouncyFireworks3811 @candybubblegumsprinkles @CaringSub @Brittanny17 @calmcoral @CatHanderOutNoah  @charmaeausty @Coffeebean26 @courageousPomegranate766 @creativeCar5713 @crystalclearnow @CyclingThroughLife @daydreammemories @dlynn88911221 @Desmynn6789 @dysfunctionjunction1224 @EllyMerelyn @emotionalPenguin4374 @empathicPresence9091 @endure777 @enthusiasticAcai2032 @enthusiasticBeach8170 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @exuberantStrawberries9544 @FaithMagic @fearlessCup8704  @FleurdeNeige @FlowerEV777 @FracturedPurple @Fradiga @fruityPond7887 @Genlistener @geribear @Gettingbettertoday @Ghasaq997 @GlitteryHearts @GoldenNest2727 @gregariousField7151 @hardworkingBeechwood6063 @heartstopper13 @helpfulDime0407 @Hereforyouall144 @hopefaith2011 @iamwhoiamwhoami @imaginativepear6493 @ingeniousLove9924 @intuitivepixie1331 @Jordan1872 @k87 @Kenn13chan @kindcircle3085 @kateeew @kindRiver6 @Lauren63 @Leahm9703 @LisaMeighanMBPsS @lovelycoacoa @magneticDreamer6447 @meaningfulSilence @mia4819 @Mich765 @miraculousTouch2949 @miresama @modestTangerine2193 @MoonMomm @Mscooper2789 @mytwistedsoul @nessa104 @NotAllHere713 @oa4me @Oceansky93 @OneErased @onkia122 @orangypie @paperBird3348 @patientwater @peacefulRainbow05 @peachyOctopus9691 @PhilosophicalModel @PiecesOfWhoeverIWas @PinkTriangle133 @politeGrapefruit179 @pompom @PurpleHearts7 @QueerChaos259 @rachelkb123 @Rainboho @Randumuser1 @redirecting @reguna @reservedPark4029 @Rod88 @RogueOne1983 @Scarletpear1945 @ShapeshiftSystem @SilverSeastar @slothgurl17 @soulsings @SparklyFly @sorrowedbunny1256 @SpongeBob2021 @stephbrent @SugareeIsMe091121 @SunShineAlwaysGrateful @tallWalker4850 @ThadSterling @theroadisbright @thesoda @thoughtsbubbleexpress @ThoughtfulMomma @tifecandy @tinywhisper11 @tiredbubble00 @toughLand5970 @UniversalSmile @warmheart0890 @WentToBruv @waves @WorriedMagpie @WorkingitThrough2 @yzzil @zeffa @Zeraphim @Zsazsa524

Heather225 June 21st

@amiablePeace77

this is such a special exciting opportunity!! thank you for leading this!

amiablePeace77 OP June 22nd

@Heather225

Thank you, Heather! I am grateful that 7cups made this AMA possible. 

I look forward to reading the questions and answers. Please feel free to submit your questions for Dr. Joe Nelson 🌻

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
DrJoeNelsonLCSW June 28th

@Cheerysandi

Is it proven that person is born lgbt and that it is health thing (person has no choice over it, they must accept that they are lgbt and live accordingly in order to stay healthy) and not just cultural thing (it means that person chooses to be lgbt as society allows and accepts it)?

@DrJoeNelsonLCSW

Yes, research indicates that sexual orientation and gender identity are complex traits influenced by a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors. The consensus among major medical and psychological organizations, such as the American Psychological Association, is that being LGBT is not a choice and that acceptance and support are crucial for mental health and well-being. If you want to read more information here is some links: https://www.apa.org/topics/lgbtq/orientation and https://www.apa.org/topics/lgbtq

@amiableTurtle9543

I do not know the right classification for me. I do define biologically as a female but that's all. I do not define myself in any way how a woman is usually portrayed, also do not agree to any rules for specific gender. I feel like a person, not as a woman or any other gender, just person. Would the classification non-binary be more correct?

@DrJoeNelsonLCSW

Yes, identifying as non-binary might be a suitable classification for you. Non-binary is an umbrella term for gender identities that are not exclusively male or female. It encompasses a variety of identities, including those who feel they do not fit within traditional gender categories or prefer not to define themselves by gender at all. Your description of feeling like a person rather than any specific gender aligns well with non-binary identification. I hope this helps! Just remember you get to be whoever you want!

Chipmonk00 June 28th

@DrJoeNelsonLCSW

Thank you very much for your answer. Identifying as non-binary feels better. Identifying as a woman (apart from biologically) made me always feel uncomfortable and caused inner conflict.