Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Recovery Journey Tips

SoulfullyAButterfly June 26th, 2023

lina-trochez-ktpkyus3qjs-unsplash_1687804582.jpg

What tips would you give to someone who is just starting their recovery journey?

kindheartedLily June 26th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I love this question! One tip I would give someone who is just starting their recovery journey is to build a solid support network, specifically with people who don't use substances.

transurvivor June 29th, 2023

I second what kindheartedlilly has said. I have relapsed many times because I did not have the solid support network. For those that are without support, addict anonymous groups can be helpful. It's not for everyone but for some it does work.

I would also say be patient with yourself and remember that being an addict is not a moral failure, it is a disease that hijacks our brain.

Every journey begins with a first step and you are not alone👊

Fuorman July 2nd, 2023

Sport and gym and swimming

Anas914 July 14th, 2023

Hello,

Finding a good support group is extremely helpful when starting a recovery journey. Remembering to take it one day at a time is also important. Distancing yourself from the environment that leads you into the unfavorable circumstances. Find a sponsor and rely on your support group. They are there to help

Best of luck to you. You can do this!

NaturalEmpath October 28th, 2023

One thing that is also important to remember is that recovery looks different for each person. What works for one person might not work for another. Each person defines their own recovery and what it looks like for them. Recovery is not black and white and it's not a pass or fail. For many it is a long or lifetime journey and a series of ups and downs. It's a learning process in which healthier coping skills are born and positive support networks are established and redefined as time goes on. It's about being present, identifying triggers and unhealthy thinking patterns so that new methods can be defined. A relapse is not a moral failure but rather an opportunity for growth. If you have a set back, take a closer look and figure out what would work better for next time. Never give up on yourself because you are your biggest advocate and deserve another chance. Reach out and talk to someone if you're feeling isolated or hopeless. You are not alone on this journey.