Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Scared to graduate

thoughtfulAvocado7616 December 13th, 2021

Hi all,

I’ve finished college majoring at something I’m passionate about but started masters just to avoid working and the possibility of rejection that might come with job interviews. Now I’m 30, and I’m still at the graduate school. I can’t concentrate on my thesis because I’m scared to get into working life.

My parents were narcissistic people and I don’t live with them for the last 12 years but still hate the fact that they’ll feel proud if I succeed. That’s one of the reasons I want to be a failure.

I have my loved ones to support me. I hope to hear some ideas or techniques that’ll help me get through this stagnant career life and your experiences.

Thank you all 🙋🏻‍♀️

Linognathus December 13th, 2021

I just graduated too and I can relate to that. I’m quite scared with working life although my major is something I’m passionate about. I’m thinking about continuing my study by taking master but agh I want lots of money

I’m sorry if I sound blunt but I think you don’t have to think about your parents. Wether they proud of you, they hate you, they like you, they’re not, in the end it’s your life. You’re a fully functional adult. You’re the one deciding your life. If they don’t exist, do you still want to fail? Don’t jeopardize your future for other people, no matter who they are

I know working life is scary. But there’s no other way to live like how we wanted but to work. I’m not sure what you scared of. If me, it’s the expectation as I had title before my name and my decision involve life and death so uh the anxiety. But I want to contribute to the world with my skill, with my passion. I hope you’d be courageous enough to take that jump. I believe in you!!!

Sending love and courage from here xoxo

wonderfulRainbow817 December 15th, 2021

@thoughtfulAvocado7616

It is understandable as to why you'd be scared. The working life is scary at times as it isn't easy. A lot of people have and will be in your position and decide to go onto a further degree to avoid the working life. There is nothing wrong with the decision you made as you made the decision that you felt was best for you. No one's else opinions matter besides how you view yourself. Ultimately, you are the one who has to decide whether to fail or not. Success isn't always about being rich, sometimes being a success is just our own definitions. That being said, it does sound like your parents are supportive, which is more than a lot of people can say. You know yourself best but remember you have your loved ones there to support you. And the 7 Cups Community will support you through whichever path you decide to go down.

While I can't give advice I can encourage you to find what matters most to you and if that aligns with succeeding or failing. At the end of the day, only you can make that decision.