Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to manage a class when the professor can't teach?

Peanutthenut April 2nd, 2023

Hi, I'm new here, and I want some advice. I'm currently a freshman. I'm taking a precalculus course, and everyone in the class is currently failing. Over half the people drop the class because of the failing midterm grade, and I'm not sure if I should too. Because he's the only professor teaching it and I will be behind a year if I drop the class. I don't want to fall behind, so what can I do besides going to office hours and tutoring (I already do that) to pass?

innateJoy9602 April 4th, 2023

@Peanutthenut

Having a bad professor can really be the worst when you are trying to pass a class. Whenever I have trouble grasping the lecture, I watch videos online on the subject. Sometimes other professors post their lectures online of the same subject. Study groups are also helpful! 💜

SunbathingCat April 30th, 2023

@Peanutthenut

Hello, welcome to 7 Cups! It sounds like you are conflicted on whether or not to drop this class. If this professor is the only one teaching this course, would it be the same next year or even the year after?

Some studying tips are to pinpoint the specifics on what you are struggling on and finding a solution. Make sure you fully understand the material!

dreamLight6383 May 4th, 2023

Hi there! Just as one of the previous posts mentioned, having a bad professor can be very tough and can often really affect not only how well the information is taught but also the motivation of the students in the class. I fully agree with the advice about watching some videos online from different platforms and professors. I would also recommended writing down the reasons why you want to or need to take this class and remind yourself of it when you're having a particularly frustrating time. This can be really good at keeping yourself motivated. Hope this helps a little :)

jerryco789 May 4th, 2023

@Peanutthenut

It might do good to connect with and get advice from seniors who attended these classes earlier.