Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Failing Chemistry

NellaNutella December 9th, 2022

I just took the third test in my college level Chemistry class. I haven't had any time to study due to work and even though I asked for the day off the day before the exam, my boss didn't even bother responding and I had to show up since they didn't say yes or no. I ended up studying as much I could during the night but when I took the test the next day I was hopelessly lost. Without a doubt, I failed it terribly.

I've been struggling with studying and finding the time to study, I am suspecting I might have ADHD, but that was the last straw. So I am planning on quitting my job tomorrow cuz the only way I am passing is if I score a 100 on the final exam. But I just don't know what to do anymore. I know the likelyhood of me passing is so low and I am terrified of failing a class. (I am a freshman)

I'm terrified and I don't know what to do. I can't fail a class, that would be absolutely terrible and my gpa is probably already ***. I don't know what to do anymore but I think that I should go to the doctor to get diagnosed or something. But I am also worried about money because it's not like my insurance would cover it. Any advice would be appreciated.

(Just to be clear the class is based on tests, so far I have gotten a 42, 71, and a probable 20. Even if I get a 100 on the last one I would be barely passing. Tbh I just really hate myself at this point.)

hopefulPond6108 December 10th, 2022

@NellaNutella Well, you can always retake the class - that would suck a bit - but I’ve been in your shoes. It’s hard to work and study and chem is a hard subject. The good part for me was when I did have to retake classes, I usually got a better instructor. Same subject and different instructor can make all the difference. I’m pretty sure retaking the class doesn’t affect your gpa negatively either (at least it didn’t where I went to school). So if your thinking you might not pass this class, maybe it’s not worth quitting your job to fail. It’s really not the end of the world, but I remember how it felt to try and save the precious gpa and in retrospect it wasn’t as important as I thought - not saying it’s not important, it is, but just take a breath, and try to believe in the grand scheme of things, it’s not even a blip on your life’s record. Best of luck.