Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

(March 2024) Listener Research Participation Opportunity: Simulation-Based Training of Active Listening Skills

SoulfullyAButterfly February 29th
Stanford University is conducting a research study to collaboratively develop technologies for simulation-based training of active listening skills.  We are seeking participants to shape the design and evaluation of a Simulated Support Seeker, which we call a customized Member Bot.  Eventually, we hope listeners can interactively practice different conversational scenarios, without the need for a trained actor to role-play with.

At this second stage, we are seeking feedback on several versions of Simulated Support Seeker. As a participant, you will be invited to interact with a Simulated Support Seeker and evaluate sample dialogues for their believability and usefulness.

Ethical Considerations: The research team and this current study aim to enhance the listener experience while preserving the vital role of human connection on the platform. We strongly believe in the power of human support and do not intend to replace human interaction in any way.

This study focuses on the development of a Member Bot that can serve as a practice tool for listeners who might want to refine their active listening skills. To ensure ethical and responsible development, the research team seeks your valuable feedback on the potential benefits and potential drawbacks of this tool.

The study will take approximately 1 hour to complete and you will be compensated with a $25 Amazon gift card for your participation. 

Participant Requirements:

Listeners interested in participating:

• Must be 18 years of age or older.

• Must be located in the U.S.

• Must have helped 30+ members through 1-1 chats (People Helped)

Participants with experience in the 7 Cups Mock Chat program are especially encouraged to apply.

If you are interested in participating in this research, please fill out this interest form. We will reach out to you if you are a fit for the study.

Another interesting opportunity for those in the USA!

Thanks for sharing!😊

lovingRainbows2088 March 2nd

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I would be interested in taking this survey but I don't have 30 one on one chats but I do however meet the other criteria. 

SoulfullyAButterfly OP March 3rd

@lovingRainbows2088 Hi Rainbows, I see that you are a new listener, thanks for joining the community. This opportunity will remain open until the end of March hopefully, so you can sign up once you meet the eligibility criteria.