Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Frustrated that there are too few "mature" listeners

DennyPenny September 30th, 2014

It has been a challenge trying to connect with a listener that has the maturity to empathize with an older woman's issues. Wishing the site had a filter choice for those of us that need a more experienced ear!

Brittany96 September 30th, 2014

I'm sorry that you're struggling with this! Every listener tends to bedifferent with the categories that they'd most like to help with or are most experienced in, and all listeners are different with issues that they're able to fullyemphasize with. For example, I mostlylike to help people who are struggling with mental health issues and I can emphasize most with young adults (18-25) because that is my age group that I'm currently in. I don't turn away people who want to chat with me, regardless of what they're struggling or their age,but those are the groups that I prefer to chat with.

The website does have a bit of a filter. For example, if you click on browse listeners, you'll notice that some people listen to "only over18s" or "only teens" or "teens and over18s." Also if you click on a listener profile, sometimes the listener will list the issues that they're best at chatting about. For example, they may list, "I'm trained in this and that, etc," and there's also a category list over to the side of each listener's profile that lists the categories that they're most experiencedin. For example:work stress, depression, etc. It really depends more on what issue you're struggling with rather than your age. I'm sorry if some listeners are having a difficult time listening to you due to your age, but the best thing I can suggest to check a listener's profile out first before connecting with them so you know that they're experienced in the categories that you want to talk about.

Some listeners also list their age on their profiles, so that may be of some help to you if you're looking for someone to chat to who is more in your age group.

Valerielynn September 30th, 2014

Agreed ^^

You can personally request a listener you think is experienced enough. I've had a few people ask my age, and they later decided they wanted to speak with another person because of it. It doesn't hurt our feelings -- we just want you to have access to the greatest help you can.

2Dimples September 30th, 2014

I'm an older person.