Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What book or talk has helped you?

GlenM September 9th, 2020

Hello! We will be reaching out to people to see if they'd like to create a growth path playlist on 7 Cups. These can be authors, experts, or influencers. People that are well known and people not so well known, but have something helpful to say. Any and all are welcome! If a book, movie, or TED talk helped you, then please share here so we can figure out the best way to incorporate their work on 7 Cups. Links to talks or books would also be helpful. Thank you!

danielioan September 14th, 2020

Man's search for meaning by Viktor Frankl.

HappilyVictorious20 September 15th, 2020

Made for Goodness by Desmond Tutu

Yougotmyback September 15th, 2020

@GlenM Life of Pi helped me in a good way. It gave me hopes & a will to fight. :)

DarkGalaxy55555 September 15th, 2020

The Unspoken Voice by Peter Levine

oyer1692 September 15th, 2020

Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament, Kay Redfield Jamison (1993).

An Unquiet Mind, Kay Redfield Jamison (1995).

The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness, Elyn Saks (2007).

Robert Lowell, Setting the River on Fire: A Study of Genius, Mania, and Character, Kay Redfield Jamison (2017).

AnxiousLady7002 September 15th, 2020

Dear Evan Hansen by Val Emmich

rebecca947 September 16th, 2020

I've got so many suggestions.
TED Talks: Brené Brown, Glennon Doyle Melton

Books: The Resilience Project by Hughe Van Cuylenburg
Girl, Stop Apologising by Rachel Hollis
You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero
Jodi Picoult author (amazing words of wisdom in all her fiction books)
The Power of Now by Eckharte Tolle
Atomic Habits by James Clear
You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein.

YellowButton223 September 16th, 2020

My favourite Ted Talk is life's too short to weigh your cornflakes.

Would really recommend it to anyone struggling with an eating disorder, or body image issues, or anyone that wants to understand more about eating disorders.

Here's a link:

https://tedandtalks.map4b.com/2017/02/after-anorexia-lifes-too-short-to-weigh-your-cornflakes-catherine-pawley-tedxleamingtonspa/

Luvurlife September 18th, 2020

@YellowButton223

The secret

Zaynshabibi September 19th, 2020

@YellowButton223 thank you so much for sharing this. 💛

tallCircle1126 September 17th, 2020

The Velvet Rage by Alan Downs

NimoSayeda September 17th, 2020

"Many Lives, Many Masters" by Brian Weiss has helped me find enlightenment and find a purpose to life. This book is a nonfiction about a psychiatrist working with a patient in regards to her past lives she remembers and includes lots of wise quotes!

originalSoul3842 September 17th, 2020

@GlenM Atomic Habits. And Dale Carnegie's books about stress,anxiety and success

Edit :currently reading -The highly sensitive person by Elaine N. Aron and is very good. It describes me when I was in high school and how other see me

exuberantPenguin3299 September 18th, 2020

Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine - I really connected with this book. And in the end knowing that we can make efforts and be happy before being 100% successful in overcoming our issues

PositivityAlways01 September 18th, 2020

@GlenM Think Like A Monk by Jay Shetty has helped me a lot. One should give it a try.

impartialWillow3324 September 18th, 2020

Empress Dowager Cixi: The concubine who launched modern day China by Jung Chang has helped me immensely.

There's nothing philosophical in it and there isn't even content related to mental health, but I found reading about this incredible woman and the trials of a turbulent period in Chinese history grounded me and reminded me that there is a present that reflects the past, and a present that promotes progress for the future.

tealShade3687 September 18th, 2020

I found "Just Peachy" by Holly Chisholm very helpful and relatable! It's a cute book with these cute and funny comics. The author talks about her experiences with depression, anxiety, and relationships. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it!

turquoiseAcres4830 September 18th, 2020

Women who love psychopaths. Inside the relationships of inevitable harm with psychopaths, sociopaths, & narcissists. By Sandra LBrown, M.A. with Jennifer R Young, L.M.H.C.

PBJLion September 19th, 2020

Emotional Agility by susan david

pluckyCranberry8097 September 19th, 2020

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

cosmicluv1618 September 19th, 2020

The power of now🧿🤍🧘🏻‍♀️

Pxidis September 19th, 2020

@GlenM

Two books: The Tao of Pooh, and The Te of Piglet

NebulaInfinity September 19th, 2020

The Citadel by A.J. Cronin

I am an aspiring medical student and have been one since the age of 3.

The book vividly remind and of all the reasons I want to become a doctor .

It reminds me of the reasons and long term goals and lifestyle and morals I wanted to live by.

It reminds me how much I liked forward to my life.

I don't know if it'll help some else, but this book keeps me from giving up again.And again.And again.

cuteOrange213 September 19th, 2020

Love for Imperfect Things by Haemin Sumin

FrostyMonkey September 20th, 2020

@GlenM this helped me with practicing mindfulness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJwP8_KxK4

Birdie72 September 20th, 2020

Letters to a Young Therapist, Mary Pipher

reflectiveCHIRON720 September 20th, 2020

I am currently reading and digging into "Take Time for Your LIfe" by Cheryl Richardson. I really like the Take Action! suggestions.

sorrowsongbird2105 September 20th, 2020

The Love For Imperfect Things- Haemin Sunim.

I love this book so much,it's just short haiku-style verses about happiness and the pursuit of it. It's not a poetry book though, it's a sort of advice manual.

Dustin623 September 21st, 2020

Anything by Teal Swan

tealbutterfly22 September 21st, 2020

@GlenM

Here are the top 5 must-reads that have changed my life:

Mindset by Carol Dweck
The Body Keeps The Score
The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robins
Captivated by Vanessa Van Edwards
Are You Ok? by Kati Morton

ALSO if you want any really empowering content about stories of those who have done crazy amazing things with their lives, and actionable tips to help you execute on your dreams, check out literally everything by Impact Theory and their sister company, Women of Impact.

ThreadbareThinker September 23rd, 2020

@tealbutterfly22

I like your choices! The body keeps the score by Bessel van der Kolk was so eye-opening for me. Also Wherever you go there you are by Jon Kabat-Zinn

IcareYouMatter September 25th, 2020

@tealbutterfly22

Great list.

Jing2010 September 21st, 2020

I'm sure that this book has already been listed multiple times, but "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman gave me, a brute guy, considerablee understanding of relationships.

September 21st, 2020

@GlenM

A talk on Primacy of Consciousness. Had a huge impact on my journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d4ugppcRUE

MidlifeCrisis5 September 21st, 2020

Games People Play by Eric Berne is a must-read in my opinion. It's not a self-help book per se, but it's helped me more than any other book of its type because it opened my eyes to the repetitive, destructive patterns in my relationships. It's short, dense, and truly enlightening. I highly recommend it. It will change the way you see people and interactions.

WowThatsABigHug September 21st, 2020

"Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life" (by Marshall Rosenberg) is a life-changer for me. It reframes the entirety of conversation, with yourself and with others, from hearing judgement and blame to hearing feelings and needs. It's like looking through a window to the soul.

tealCamp8407 September 21st, 2020

Everything, Everything

Novel by Nicola Yoon

its the best book

SamB222 September 22nd, 2020

The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk has been super helpful. I also really treasure Sharon Salzberg's Real Love: The Art of Mindful Connection and Ram Dass' Polishing the Mirror.

olivePineapple4838 September 22nd, 2020

Get Out of Your Head written by Jennie Allen