Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A little note for our listeners

xxSidney October 28th, 2017

Dear listeners of seven cups.

My time on seven cups has overall been pretty good.

There are members and listeners who really helped me find the right kind of help, so to say.

However, There are a lot of listeners that seriously make coming to seven cups with a bad day, an even worse day.

there are listeners who're just here to make friends, to get a laugh, or even to sexually intimidate the members, that besides the usual dose of trolls.

So, I have decided enough is enough, It's time to explain to you how you guys can actually help your members.

1. Welcoming, A warm welcome to seven cups doesn't only look professional, it puts the member at ease, be sure you don't just say "hi".

When you're welcoming a memeber that's returning to the chat, it's okay to leave out a part of your usual riddle.

2. "I'm here to help". I'm sorry listeners, Saying that doesn't magically make us think you've actually helped us.

You can't help someone if you don't know what you're doing, because everyone who does know that, also knows it's eventually up to the person to help themselves.

One cannot pull someone out of a depression, but can only offer handles to make the person get out of it a little easier.

3. "I am here for you" Yes!! thank you so much!!

A lot of persons come here to lay their egg (tell their story).

that's because they don't want to tell someone in 'real' yet, or perhaps because they just need a little extra support.

I am here for you makes the members feel like they're not alone, this is benefitial when the person you're talking to is lonely.

4. if you're a nurse, don't try to be a doctor. and if you're a listener, don't try to be a psychologist.

For myself, i'm able to give you -the listeners- the handles because i'm a nurse, and i have dealt with a good share of the mental health problems in elderly.

that doesn't mean i have solved their issues, but i gave them the handles to get out of their situation and stimulated them to set a goal for the day, and live up to their goal.

5. Assumptions kill.

Well, there's nothing to say about that, because i'm sure we can all relate to that.

6. Your seven cups course is essential to how you listen.

In your course you get thought a couple of vital skills to maintain, guide and successfully close a conversation.

All are essential to put the member at ease, and eventually for your rating.

7. We love you, no matter how cruel we can be sometimes.

We really appreciate that you're here for us during our times of need.

Even though we can be a real pain when we're having a bad day and are cranky as what.

We don't mean harm by what we say or react to, but we don't see at that moment that what we said was...well...stupid.

I hope you find this little thread helpful.

If you have a tip of your own to improve the quality of the general listener, post it below.

Love, Sidney

Uzzi October 28th, 2017

@xxSidney A really good post love it

xxSidney OP October 28th, 2017

@Uzzi Thank you!

Luvnbeast October 29th, 2017

@xxSidney I like your tips too, although yes, I think every life form wants to wear the Mr. Fixit hat but the biggest point is whenever wearing such a hat, you really have to make sure that the points you give are without assumptions and based on points the speaker said not just implied. I mean no one wants to be sitting here witnessing suffering and be truly powerless to stop it who is a listener I think. However, you have a point where the nurse shouldn't be a full-fledged doctor. So the listeners really need to focus on what they can actually do, and keep their minds open to learn more, rather than playing a doctor on TV and creating more drama. As sadly enough, THIS IS NOT TV KIDZ! Contrary to the troll's popular opinion. Just had to add my 2 cents. :)

Anna2N April 18th, 2018

It's interesting to me, thank you

S1ncerelyMe August 4th, 2018

I really appreciate this thread. Many people come to the feedback section just to slam listeners and the site in general with a barrage of insults and assumptions. While I understand that people can be angry and hurt, it