Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Positive report-back

GottaGo April 11th, 2023

Hey all! I joined 7cups back in 2017 when I was 16 years old. I am now 22.

Back when I was 16, I had been cutting for about two years. Now, I have been completely self-harm free for 3.5 years, and mostly self-harm free for 5 years. Relapses happened at the beginning, but I'm confident in saying I will never relapse again. I am similarly mostly recovered from anorexia.

Sadly, I think you will never escape being emotionally triggered by self-harm images, or the talk of SH. But it absolutely does get easier, and it's a healing process. I legitimately thought I would never stop self-harming. I also never thought I would live this long. I had to recover on my own, with no access to mental health services, which I recommend to absolutely no one.

I'm in graduate school now, and I actually made it through undergrad even though I almost flunked out multiple times. I may not make it through graduate school, but I'm in a healthy enough place that the possibility of failure is okay. I have a loving partner who makes me feel safe. I am living on my own (on a tight budget, but in a different state from my abusive family). I put up some nice curtains the other day, and got excited to make a really *** cheesecake!

I'm not cured of my mental health issues, and likely never will be. That's okay, and something I have come to terms with. I'm finally making decisions that prioritize my mental health such as staying off of social media (for the most part), living as an openly queer/trans person, and eating plenty of good food.

If people want to ask me questions, I'd be glad to answer. For the most part, though, I wanted to make this post to give some light to those who may feel trapped.

innateJoy9602 April 11th, 2023

@GottaGo

It’s so nice to hear that you’re in a better place than you were when you were 16 years old.

This is definitely very inspiring and I know it will helps others <3

Proud of you and your progress!💜

bubbleCurrent6525 April 13th, 2023

@GottaGo

I am happy to hear this. It is not easy to come this far. No matter how many obstacles come your way, you continue to stand up and move forward. You are an amazing person. I am so proud of you.