Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to move beyond triggers and deal with root poblem

PaulaUp May 7th

Hi, 

Trigger warning, 

Just trying to put down my thoughts and feelings.... 

I used to self harm about 7 years ago for around a year. I don't really remember the details. It was quite bad. It's always stayed with me. Even now when people see my scars and ask about them I don't know how to talk about it.

Somehow I managed to stop, I don't really remember how. Then I relapsed twice or so a few years ago but not fully because I couldn't stand the blood anymore. It didn't "help" me like it used to. I had learned other coping skills that stopped me from doing it. 

Over the last year or so I guess I felt like SH again. And I guess I did "different forms" (other than cutting) that aren't as noticeable and "less" harmful to the body. But still there was self-loathing and frustration and helplessness. I mostly manage to keep myself from doing anything most of those few times I feel like SH. 

But I realised that the triggers have changed, and I don't know how to deal with that. I don't know how to deal with difficult emotions and conflict especially those that involve other people.

I've found there is a deeper meaning behind the triggers and that there MUST be a way to resolve them.... I just haven't figured it out yet...

Kristynsmama May 7th

@PaulaUp

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  SH is something that is really hard to overcome and you seem to be doing a great job of overcoming it- even if you face slips or relapses along the way.

Have you been able to identify any of your current triggers?  Triggers can definitely change over time.  I know mine have definitely changed.

What is one thing you can do when you have the urges that might distract you or help you to not act on the urges?

Kristy

PaulaUp OP May 9th

@Kristynsmamah

Thanks for your reply! 

I feel like I definitely know my triggers in general. However the nuances are too complex for me to understand and that's what I struggle with. Like I just can't pinpoint why exactly something is upsetting and triggering for me. And how I can change it.  

Barry4 May 9th

Same. You’re not alone here. Continue to focus on your healthy coping mechanisms.