Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

It can be scary to confront people because....

Laura July 19th, 2018

It can be scary to confront people because....

hollykg July 19th, 2018

@Laura you dont know how they will react. they could blow up and get really defensive, therefore making it harder for you.

cyanPlatypus6370 July 20th, 2018

@hollykg - That's exactly what I was going to say.

It can be scary to confront someone because ... I am not in charge of the other person's reaction or response. I could imagine it 15 different ways; but then, in the actual conversation, it could go off into another OTHER 15 ways of reacting.

I'll just be over here, being my "turtle" self :) Platy

authenticbeing July 19th, 2018

@Laura it's very likely to change your relationship

Sakurablossomtree July 19th, 2018

@Laura

If I think of how someone might react and it happens in a negative way, I'm scared to ever tell them something like that again

myparalleluniverse July 19th, 2018

it can be taken the wrong way - they may feel frustrated, hurt or upset with the situation. it can look badly on us. sometimes its easier to carry on like nothing happened, that way no drama!

CoachJ27 July 19th, 2018

@Lauran because people are afraid to open up. They fear reactions to other people and how they will handle things versus confidently stating what one feels. Also, not everyone likes confrontation. Some people tend to shut down or ignore the other person when they are being confronted about something.

OPinyon July 19th, 2018

@CoachJ27

Yes. Or they villify you and get their friends to do the same. They may hold a grudge and make it difficult for you later as well. Especially online.

yellowEyes7048 July 19th, 2018

@Laura

I have nothing really much going on in my life that I can talk about. I have no family or friends. I don't have much to say or to share, yet I wish that I could have someone to share whatever it is that I can share and talk about, however small and short the conversations.

Tinycupcake July 19th, 2018

People are only out for themselves

Tafter July 19th, 2018

Even though you pour your heart out to them and they just use it more to hurt you

fearlessPomegranate3432 July 19th, 2018

I remember when i confronted my ex boyfriend after meeting him because i suspected he was cheating on me he couldn't give a satisfactory answer rather behaved so cold and i had no optioned than to end the relationship

KS2011 July 19th, 2018

There is no way of knowing whether they

majesticSun58 July 19th, 2018

Because its very hard to make them friends at the first point we are humans and we all desire for companionship

mindOnAStroll July 19th, 2018

Confrontations don't give us time to think over what we say before we say it and I don't trust myself not to say something stupid that will hurt the other person's feelings. Or say something that I don't actually mean, just because the emotional situation made me say them. Also, I'm scared of making a fool of myself pretty much all the time so that's another situation where this could happen.

EarlyOwl July 19th, 2018

Depending on what it is, they could react a number of ways. Sometimes you never know.

If you're confessing something about yourself, they might not accept you for it, or be disappointed in you and never look at you the same way, or even just worry for you so much that you feel like a burden

When you're confronting them about something they're doing, whether they're doing something that you're not happy with or something that's bad for them, they might take it too personally, that you don't like them and not just what they're doing. A lot of people get defensive when you confront something they're doing.

Earsopen14 July 19th, 2018

Im afraid of judgment and rejection. I feel like Im crazy and Im afraid Ill be treated differently if people knew what is really wrong with me

Kitkat3939 July 19th, 2018

@Laura

...Because you might wind up hurting someone you care about.

CharChar00 July 19th, 2018

Everyone is unique. We can't be sure how others will react when put under pressure. Even if you know someone really well, there may be times when they react surprisingly and that can make us feel confused, scared and afraid to talk to people over time. We need to be calm and think about opening our mouths to not agravat the confrontation :)

EllieKB July 19th, 2018

you can't predict how they'll feel or react

Angelheart42 July 19th, 2018

You might be afraid of rejection or not being understood.b

SensibleSquare July 19th, 2018

They may harm you

sincereSkies5210 July 19th, 2018

It can be scary to confront others because you don't really know they will react and the unknown is always scary.,

considerateOcean8033 July 19th, 2018

You don't know how they're going to react to you and it's important to protect your energy.

Md06 July 19th, 2018

You will never be able to trust their response completely

liz4383 July 19th, 2018

I think unresolved issues with my daughter may cause anxiety and make me feel overwhelmed and down. However she doesn't think that she needs to change only me. I can see that we both need to change and have been working with a therapist. What should I do? We went over a month without talking at all and I was less stressed. It is very scary to think of confronting her.

SirVirus July 19th, 2018

You won

carefulcurrent9154 July 19th, 2018

because some people like myself could be holding in alot of negative things, and when you confront them they could react in a way that your not expecting them to , and that can lead to someone getting hurt or dead

Jacko2304 July 19th, 2018

The fear of how a person will react can be terrifying. It can feel like you are wandering into the unknown and that is pretty freighting.

eFeN2187 July 19th, 2018

@Laura

there are close-minded people who will find a way to put the blame on you.

fluffyUnicorns84 July 19th, 2018

loosing them as a friend or support

Trillians July 19th, 2018

@fluffyUnicorns84 I'm always worried that they didn't mean to do the thing that bothered me so much and they'll think I'm just overreacting and blowing things out of proportion. Then they won't want to talk to me anymore.

fluffyUnicorns84 July 19th, 2018

@Trillians so relate <3 or whether it is just me making a big deal out of things.

Trillians July 19th, 2018

@fluffyUnicorns84 Totally, and I feel like I never confront people. So even when I should I really don't know how to start?

listenerblack1995 July 19th, 2018

You don't know how they will react and if their feelings will get hurt.

Renlovesrain July 19th, 2018

You can't predict the reaction. You can try, but you can never be certain until after

greenClementine6664 July 19th, 2018

Don't know what to say to people or how to keep a conversation going afraid it will end in awkward silence and they will think negatively about me

Chl011 July 19th, 2018

They might not understand or judge you even tell others and make you feel uncomfortable

Auckland July 19th, 2018

They can destroy you.

OPinyon July 19th, 2018

@Auckland

Yes.

convivialPrune5209 July 19th, 2018

Youre not guaranteed the truth from that person. In my case my ex whose got sexually, physically, emotionally and mentally abusive. Hes a narcissist and he has cheated on me throughout our relationship or tried to he shifts the blame on me. He withholds information and when Ive tried to leave previously he wont let me. Hes isolated me from people. And in the end its him I want to clarify things for me but he cant. He cant clarify them because he will always try and put this front up. He will deny things hes done. He will lie. He looks like hes such a caring and wonderful person but hes a monster. So it makes it tough when you want to give someone the benefit of the doubt but youve come to a point you can no longer. And also when that person will say anything to keep you addicted to them. Confrontation has become terrifying cause you never know who another person is.