Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Why were member profile pictures added & immediately removed?

EngelFromAnAngle December 24th, 2014

Title says it all. I don't really get it, almost all of us just wanted profile pictures. What's wrong with having them? We just need to settle down with them and get used to them, then it'll all be great. I'd really like them back.

Thank you for reading. <3

Kane December 24th, 2014

I think it was a trial run by the staff.

There is also the necessity of protecting members. I highly disagree with the idea of members being allowed to upload pictures of themselves (even I would never do that on my member account) because it could lead to involuntary disclosure of identity. The forums and rooms on here are public so it can really be damaging should someone put too much information about themselves out there. I'd rather not put any of you in danger because disclosure of needing support for mental health reasons isn't always a good thing.

EngelFromAnAngle OP December 24th, 2014

Ah, yes I understand now, but obviously, even LIKE IT SAID, you don't have to use a picture of yourself! You don't have to change it.. You could also just leave it at the 2 letters. I still really don't understand why it's deleted, it makes no sense. We can choose if we want to show others how we look or not, can't we?!

Staypeaceful321 December 31st, 2014

I'm a listener, and I don't know how to delete conversations on the app. Anybody else know?

Laura December 31st, 2014

Thanks @Kane for the reply. You are right, we were doing a short test. The goal of member pictures would be about giving members the ability to better express their identities and share who they are with our community through a visual. It can be tricky though with security concerns and internet safety. Ultimately, I think we will bring back member pictures once we have a few more security measures in place. It would be a privilegea member can unlock once they have hit a certain threshold in levels/growth points/chats. Additionally, there needs to be a clear difference between who a member is and who a listener is. If you were in the chat room on that day, it was quite confusing to determine who the listeners were vs the members. This can be done by changing the shapes, adding a border...etc. But we need it to be very clear who is who.

Open to further discussion on this matter.