Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trade/Skill specific volunteer opportunities?

HappyMeekrat October 27th, 2016

I'm a professional software developer and was curious if 7 cups has any kind of volunteer opportunities specific to this or other trades? I'm always happy to contribute to my community in other ways, but it's always nice use a skill to it's fullest potential. :)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn October 27th, 2016

@HappyMeekrat - hi meekrat! as lyra said most if our volunteer work happens with listeners but i know there are efforts to include members more as well. what sort of things did you uave in mind?

HappyMeekrat OP October 28th, 2016

Thanks for both of your responses @Lyra and @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn! I'm not quite to the point of feeling comfortable being a listener, but that's definitely a possibility in the future! Krink, I would love to work on any thing. I'm really passionate about coding, and I've often thought about using that skill to contribute back to another thing I'm passionate about: helping those who struggle with anxiety and other mental illnesses. One of the coolest thing about being a developer is having the power to give back to the world in a unique way like you guys have here on 7 cups!

The opportunity may not arise until I move to the listener side of things, but just to put the idea our there, I have skills in Java, JS, HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, Oracle, DB2, and a lot more. :)

Lyra October 27th, 2016

@HappyMeekrat

Hey there, love, it's really kind of you to want to offer your time and skills! There are some specific opportunities for those with such professional skills as yours, but I'm afraid that they're all on the listener side of things at the moment. There is an increasing push for members to take on more leadership roles in the community here at 7 Cups, and it may be that opportunities on the development side will make themselves available!

You can read about the new leadership roles here, and I'm going to tag in @Krinkthemellowunicorn, developer extraordinare who'll be better able to advise you on any opportunities to get involved.

Thank you again for your kindness ❤

HappyMeekrat OP October 28th, 2016

@Lyra, Thanks! I will check out the member roles and see what I can do to become involved!